Stick vs MIG Welding

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
Saltier

Stick vs MIG Welding

Post by Saltier » December 11th, 2019, 3:06 pm

I am an old stick welder but am considering purchasing a MIG machine. Looking for PROS and CONS on the subject. Is the difference really worth it? Which costs more/less to operate and etc...

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Stick vs MIG Welding

Post by ajfoxy » December 11th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Mig is really nice in the fact that you have a really long electrode, the whole roll in fact. Mig with gas gives a clean bead with minimal splatter if set up right. However, you can only weld in minimal windy conditions to avoid blowing away the shielding gas. Unless you use flux core then you are back to splatter and having to chip the slag off. In my opinion (which does not count for much) for thinner materials Mig is better. For thicker materials stick is better UNLESS you have a huge ass high amp Mig costing mega $$$. For inside work, Mig is nicer... nicer bead, less splatter, less fumes and easier cleanup. Just my 2c worth

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 11th, 2019, 6:01 pm

:yth: Also, MIG does not like rusty metal so you have to make sure that your joints are clean.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

k.a.m.
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Tequila Sunrise BBQ Team

Post by k.a.m. » December 18th, 2019, 12:52 pm

I believe every shop should have as many options as a person can afford whether it be for welding or cutting. That being said I do prefer stick over wire but that is what I have always used and have found just short of aluminium welding I am pretty well set. If I ever happened on a sweet deal for a little wire feed I would jump on it just to have.

"Slow and Steady Wins the Race"

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 19th, 2019, 11:08 am

I’m pretty spoiled and hardly ever weld outside. All my projects come to the shop so I can eliminate wind and climate issues associated with outside work. Just for the rare project/quick fix I keep a roll of flux core and a bottle of straight co2. With that said, I’ve got no reason to invest in a stick machine.

If outdoor work is in your future the usefulness of stick is worth investigating.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » December 19th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:08 am
If outdoor work is in your future the usefulness of stick is worth investigating.
Or working on old rusty steel.... yes, I grew up on a farm.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

DMaxx
Title: ole fart.

Post by DMaxx » March 6th, 2020, 5:41 pm

I like mig welding the best . I got certified in all the process's but I like mig the best because it a faster process. Been looking forward to using my new Lincoln 260. My ole millermatic 200 took a dump on me. the miller is good for some (maybe) hard to find parts off of it. the transformer took a dump. I have the original gun for it and a 200amp gun available if someone is looking for parts.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » March 18th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Both definitely have their place in my opinion. When I need to do a quick weld on the fence on the corner of the lot, or anywhere outside, I grab my stick welder because they are very portable. with almost no setup time. So in that sense it is my favorite welder for applications like this.
However for shop purposes, a mig (GMAW) welder is better for production, and when set up correctly can perform strength-wise as well as a stick welder. Plus there is not as much smoke to deal with indoors.
I purchased a Miller 211 a bit ago, with an incentive from Miller of either a free cart or a free spool gun with my purchase. I took the spool gun. I was amazed how well it works on aluminum! (220v). They are rated at 3/8" plate on mild steel, and the new inverter models weigh less than 20 lbs. To me the money was well spent.
regards,
Tinspark

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Return to “Let's Talk!”