Cinderbrick build

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
bricksmoker
beginner
beginner

Cinderbrick build

Post by bricksmoker » November 10th, 2020, 9:52 pm

I am almost finished with my offset cinderbrick smoker build. The cook chamber is 33x44x64. I had originally planned to use a piece of 3/8 plate steel for the top of the cook chamber. Steel is now ridiculously high now because of covid shutdown . Does anyone have any ideas on a top? I will need to cut an 8 inch diameter hole for a chimney. I also thought about a combo of cinderbrick and flatware. By the way...I have already filled the cook chamber with angle shelves. Basically, I am building the smoker around the shelves.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Cinderbrick build

Post by Dirtytires » November 11th, 2020, 10:13 am

Really no need to use that thick. Why not use a thinner piece in the 0.125 range to give you a strong working surface and then put your masonry over it so it looks like the rest of the build.

If you wanted only a steel top, I would think 0.25 would be enough. Should cut price down considerably as well.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » November 11th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Pics please

Claud McBroom

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » November 11th, 2020, 5:56 pm

bricksmoker wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 9:52 pm
I am almost finished with my offset cinderbrick smoker build. The cook chamber is 33x44x64. I had originally planned to use a piece of 3/8 plate steel for the top of the cook chamber. Steel is now ridiculously high now because of covid shutdown . Does anyone have any ideas on a top? I will need to cut an 8 inch diameter hole for a chimney. I also thought about a combo of cinderbrick and flatware. By the way...I have already filled the cook chamber with angle shelves. Basically, I am building the smoker around the shelves.
Not sure how how concrete board would work. I got a bunch of 7/16" thick stuff free from a friend several years back. It is made for floors, But if ul line it with light gauge sheet metal (16 or 14 gauge) that may work? (hardybacker brand- I think) Heck, you could likely run some flatbars across teh top of it and run a course of block, then put a metal raincover over everything if you decides it needs it. We used to use a similar product behind commercial range hoods and it is very fireproof and rigid. I just wouldn't pu weight on it unless U ran flatbar stiffeners across top or even bottom exposed in te cook chamber and laid across the top of wall buried in mortar joint

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » November 11th, 2020, 8:18 pm

^^^this^^^

Claud McBroom