Climate.....

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Climate.....

Post by Dirtytires » April 18th, 2021, 2:26 pm

I have been in the southwest desert for 20+ years and am used to the hot, dry climate. We do not get much rain and wind is pretty rare, and just 5-10 mph is the norm. My biggest problem is keeping my fire small enough and my cook temps below 250. On the bright side, I run my smoker year round.

Currently, i am in the southern Minnesota area for an extended visit and it has not hardly gotten above 50 degrees F and the wind has not stopped howling at what seems like tornado speeds. I saw snow last week....and it's April!

So, for those of you that live in this, you already know but I have a new understanding of how one needs to build /operate a smoker in the colder months. I tried to use a high power camp burner yesterday and couldn't even boil water as the heat was whisked away with the wind. The huge surface area of the smokers would amplify this and really make wind-screens almost a necessity and air intakes on multiple side of the firebox a must.

Not really sure this is a great new concept but just thought I would share my observation.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Climate.....

Post by JKalchik » April 18th, 2021, 5:39 pm

Hey..... I'll stand you to a tasty beverage..... and given just a fraction of an excuse I'll fire up the gravity fed.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

dacolson

Post by dacolson » April 18th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Welcome to MN! You get used to it. We still smoke all winter. I’ve got a brisket going on tomorrow early. If you’re anywhere near Farmington, PM me. I’ll show you my next project. Ben Hur ...
Btw, I’d rather go toss a couple splits on at -10 and hustle back in than sweat through 110! You got your own climate struggles down south. And I’ve never had a snake in my boot ...

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 19th, 2021, 10:18 am

JKalchik wrote:
April 18th, 2021, 5:39 pm
Hey..... I'll stand you to a tasty beverage..... and given just a fraction of an excuse I'll fire up the gravity fed.
I've been know to drive hundreds of miles for a beer...keep checking out your front window!

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » April 19th, 2021, 12:07 pm

https://tilionbrewing.com/ is in town, and has tasty beers.

A very good friend (we've known each other for.... good god.... 40 years now...) road tripped almost 400 miles to Windsor, ON just to hit last call. Got back home at 7:00 AM.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 20th, 2021, 8:28 am

Thanks for the info, will see what time I have.

Return to “Let's Talk!”