Workhorse Hatred

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Serious goof
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Workhorse Hatred

Post by ThinBlue » January 2nd, 2022, 11:02 pm

I've seen a number posts around the web suggesting that there is some hatred for Workhorse Pits, and JD in general, by some of the other big name pit builders. Backline did a live feed on Instagram today where he mentioned several builders that are a close-knit group and then in a following statement mentioned that folks should not be buying from from certain builders, or something to that affect. Although he didn't mention Workhorse by name as one of the builders not to buy from, it made me wonder if he was referring to them because of his relationship that he apparently has with other companies that are rumoured to be at odds with Workhorse.

Does anyone have any insight as to what the beef is all about? From the videos I've seen from JD he seems like a nice enough guy.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Workhorse Hatred

Post by Dirtytires » January 3rd, 2022, 10:38 am

Sorry, no idea.

I build my own pits and really don't have time to worry about what some guy said about not buying a pit that I have no desire to own in the first place.

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » January 3rd, 2022, 11:46 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 10:38 am
Sorry, no idea.

I build my own pits and really don't have time to worry about what some guy said about not buying a pit that I have no desire to own in the first place.
:huh: What an odd response. Your first sentence was probably sufficient. I apologize if this post has somehow offended you.

What I am really digging at is I would like to know if it's just some grade school level competitive animosity (for which I don't care) or if there is something that they deem significantly flawed about his design or workmanship. I think it would be good information to have on the forum if it's the latter since many folks take cues and inspiration from well recognized and established pit builders as well as the information that is available here. Since Frank Cox was mentioned in the live feed several times I was hoping he might be able to shed some light on if there is any legitimate deficiencies in the Workhorse product. Whether that be general philosophy of design or a build quality concern. Workhorse looks like they produce a quality product to my untrained eye but I assume it would take a real or very experienced pit builder to point out the littles issues that, based on opinion, could be improved upon. I think we all want to make the best pits that we can around here and if that means talking about what does or doesn't work from certain builders I don't see the anything wrong with that.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder

Post by hogaboomer » January 4th, 2022, 10:38 am

They probably don't like his price, undercutting them.

I never heard of them before reading your post, but the pits like fine to me.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 4th, 2022, 10:46 am

No problem...no offense taken.

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by ThinBlue » January 4th, 2022, 12:47 pm

hogaboomer wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 10:38 am
They probably don't like his price, undercutting them.

I never heard of them before reading your post, but the pits like fine to me.
That would make sense. Eating up profit margins and Wal-Mart'ing the market makes other businesses less stable. Especially during times like these where steel prices are crazy.