Building my first Homemade Smoker

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
noted1017
beginner
beginner

Building my first Homemade Smoker

Post by noted1017 » April 17th, 2022, 3:55 pm

I am building an offset smoker. My first attempt and I have my design figured out along with the dimensions.
It's 24”x6' WxL and the cooking area for the racks is 24" tall.
I have a few questions and would like some feedback.
Firebox Size - How Big? If I insulated it, what is the best size of metal to use? Any thoughts to insulating the fire box or not? What are the pros and cons? Should the firebox be square or round?? Any and all help is very much appreciated

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Building my first Homemade Smoker

Post by Dirtytires » April 18th, 2022, 10:59 am

First off, find the pit calculator on the home page and add in your dimensions. It will then calculate the sizes for your firebox, chimney, throat, vents and gap.

The calculated size for the firebox can be round or square and does not change of insulated. Personally, I like a square firebox as they are easier to work with and your options for adding vents in the proper places are much better. Interior space also seems a little less cramped and adding a log basket is much less complicated. Insulating helps to cut down on heat loss (and can somewhat decrease fuel use). If you live in a cold or windy climate I would say it is probably worth it. Safety is one of the biggest reasons for it tho as the outer skin stays several hundred degrees cooler and will not require a trip to the ER if touched. Your pit will run fine either way.

Most agree that 0.25 is a good benchmark for fireboxes. If you decide to insulate, the outer skin simply needs to hold the insulation in so something in the range of 20g is more than enough to resist dings.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 18th, 2022, 6:54 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » April 19th, 2022, 5:15 pm

Funny, I just watched this video about the very subject that you are asking about from Frank Cox.
Might be worth a look. My take was, More insulation may needed in colder climates and not as much needed in warmer climates, like where I am at (Central Calif. USA). But I though that Frank made an interesting point that if you over insulate, the fire burns too hot/ clean and give almost no smoke flavor. He never insulates the bottoms of his FB's to allow a place for the heat to dissipate.. That was a good one.

I attached teh video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZFP8ooLi5Y&t=8s

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

noted1017
beginner
beginner

Post by noted1017 » April 19th, 2022, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the come back guys. A fellow co worker asked me if a 120 gallon 24 inch diameter propane tank and a 20 inch round pipe to be use as a firebox be a good combination for a offset smoker using two different diameter. Or should the cylindrical tanks both be the same diameter. Any and all help is very much appreciated.