Royal Oak Embers Charcoal

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Royal Oak Embers Charcoal

Post by Mo Smoke » May 18th, 2022, 10:26 pm

Home Depot has Embers Charcoal by Royal Oak, 2 - 20lb bags on sale for $15. Anyone ever used it? Good, bad, ugly ? I used to experiment with different brands. I tried RO Lump a few years ago, and some of their red bag charcoal briquettes too. After a while I gave up on saving a few bucks and have been sticking with Kingsford ever since. But inflation is trying to take me back down the rabbit hole. Yall let me know what ur working with.

Smoke em if ya got em.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Royal Oak Embers Charcoal

Post by towtruck » May 19th, 2022, 10:12 am

Have not ventured into that one. When I set up my smoker trailer I went charcoal and tried using lump and that did not work out too well for me. I now stick with Kingsford and buy the 40 pound double bags at Lowes or Home Depot. I have anywhere from 120-240 pounds on hand at any time. I try and hit the sales and stock up.

I would not hesitate to try something new......let us know how it cooks!

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » May 19th, 2022, 10:24 pm

That’s what I buy.. 2 - 20lb bags from Hd. Best deal around. 2 full chimneys and some oak or hickory splits and I’m good ! I read mixed reviews on Royal oak. Some folks loved it, others not so much. I’m just kind of stickin to what works until someone convinced me to roll the dice again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » May 21st, 2022, 2:49 pm

Mo Smoke wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 10:24 pm
That’s what I buy.. 2 - 20lb bags from Hd. Best deal around. 2 full chimneys and some oak or hickory splits and I’m good ! I read mixed reviews on Royal oak. Some folks loved it, others not so much. I’m just kind of stickin to what works until someone convinced me to roll the dice again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use Kingsford in My GF Smoker and add wood in my ash compartment to give different flavors etc.

Home Depot jut dropped the regular price from $20 to $18 for the double bags (20 lbs per bag)
I think that is the only price drop I have seen lately in this crazy world we are all living in!!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344