Going back to basics....for fun

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Going back to basics....for fun

Post by towtruck » May 30th, 2022, 6:42 pm

I recently sold a piece of property and hauled all my belongings home. One of those items is my nearly 50 year old Weber kettle. My father in law bought this bbq used back in the mid 80's. The original owner had gotten the life they wanted out of it and my FIL bought it for $1. He bought it to burn out a muffler on a two stroke lawn mower he needed to sell. I picked up the mower and he gave me the BBQ to cook the muffler in. I did just that. That was in 1985. Since then this BBQ has cooked me a thousand meals. I put it on my mountain property to use while staying up there. Now that it is home I decided to cook a batch of chicken thighs on it.

What a treat, so simple, so efficient, and just a pleasure to use. It's crazy how far I have advanced my bbq/smoking with my trailer rig that has twin smokers, a Yoder style bbq, gas burners, rotisserie, and storage for gear. Let's not forget the pizza oven in the back yard that is as big as three refrigerators.

The little Weber works just fine! It is showing it's age and has a few weak spots but should keep going for many more years if I care for it. This is one of the old porcelain enameled units in two tone brown. Year built- 1977....and I still have the lawn mower :biggrillin:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Going back to basics....for fun

Post by Big T » May 30th, 2022, 8:59 pm

Those old weber's are hard to beat!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » May 30th, 2022, 9:35 pm

That Weber is a grill man’s best friend. My dad had one and it was the first thing I bought when I moved out into my first apt. When I couldn’t take it with me I bought a new one everytime I moved into a new spot. Can’t beat them for burgers, dogs, and chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 31st, 2022, 3:11 am

:yth:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » May 31st, 2022, 7:40 am

I hang out over on The Virtual Weber Bullet Bulletin Board site, primarily for my HeaterMeater. There's a great bunch of folks over there, and if you're looking for parts, techniques, etc, that's an awfully good place to start.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Return to “Let's Talk!”