It's been hot

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
towtruck
Expert
Expert

It's been hot

Post by towtruck » September 5th, 2022, 10:15 pm

It's been a hot summer and this week will be in the 110-115* range. Today I wanted to smoke something and not waste the weekend not cooking something. I went out to the garage freezer and pulled out a 5 lb pork butt. As I walked back in the house it defrosted in my hands and was ready to season. I seasoned it and set it on the counter while I went out to the smoker. I used my double layer oven mitts to open the cold smoker and I placed one charcoal briquette in the fire box. Before I could get the match out the briquette started smoking all on it's own. I probed the meat and readied it for the smoker before it was too warm to handle without gloves.

I quickly placed the butt in the smoker and closed the lid. I started hosing the top of the smoker down with water as soon as I had the lid closed and I was able to maintain 275* cook chamber temps with a 23 gallon a minute flow of water over the top. I got distracted and did not get the water spray on the lid for 10 seconds and in that time the butt's internal temps hit 200*. Total time on the smoker was 11 minutes. I pulled the butt and before I could get it into the house I was holding a hunk of burnt ends.

To save electricity we boiled corn cobs outside in a pot on the sidewalk as an attempt to boil water on the smoker only evaporated the water before we could drop the second cob in.

We had to use two cans of green beans in order to make a side dish as the first can exploded before we could open it sending beans all over the kitchen. Lucky for us they dried up almost instantly and were easy to sweep into a dust pan. For the second can we shaded it until we could open the lid and then removed the shade just before it was time to eat.

We froze glasses of water in the morning and when it was dinner time we pulled them out of the freezer and were able to enjoy the cool water during the meal. The glasses thawed out perfectly over the five minutes it took to eat. For dessert we planned on strawberry shortcake but the berries dried out before the whip cream could be added so we saved them to put on our cereal in the morning. We ended up pulling a cob of corn out of the fridge and setting it on the counter in the kitchen and we took turns catching the kernels as they popped and had a great time playing Jiffy pop catch at the counter.

It was a great day and we look forward to being able to wear shoes again once the sidewalk cools off tonight. The wife needs to try and peel her tennis shoes up later tonight when it cools down enough to touch them again. We are thinking of doing a pizza for lunch tomorrow and are freezing all the ingredients tonight and getting the pizza oven cooled down enough to properly cook that pizza. I think the hardest part will be getting the pie from the oven back into the house before it burns...I might just add more ice to the oven and pull it a tad early and let it finish on the way back into the house.

I think I will have to adjust my cook times better on the next butt as it did dry out a tad.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: It's been hot

Post by Pete Mazz » September 6th, 2022, 2:29 am

=)) =)) =))

I guess smoked cheese is out of the question...

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 6th, 2022, 10:14 am

Some days it feels like that around here as well. I don't fire up the pit too often in the summer cause it's just too hard to keep the fire small enough when the "cold" pit temp is 125-130 from sitting in the sun.

Fall is almost here......

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Serious goof
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ThinBlue » September 7th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Lol

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Barrion2018 » September 8th, 2022, 11:59 am

towtruck wrote:
September 5th, 2022, 10:15 pm
It's been a hot summer and this week will be in the 110-115* range. Today I wanted to smoke something and not waste the weekend not cooking something. I went out to the garage freezer and pulled out a 5 lb pork butt. As I walked back in the house it defrosted in my hands and was ready to season.
Now that's HOT! =))

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » September 14th, 2022, 6:23 am

Where are u bro ?! It’s hot down here in Florida, but your temps make it seem like fall down here! U should put a frying pan on the sidewalk, make some steak and eggs, and send us the video or some pics !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Return to “Let's Talk!”