Cutting door sequence

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
dbear
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Cutting door sequence

Post by dbear » June 16th, 2020, 12:07 am

Wanted to know the best sequence to cutting cooking chamber door into pipe. I guess what I'm saying is. After you cut the top horizontal line, do you cut the bottom horizontal line next or the two side vertical cuts. Which is best for least amount of distortion and spring in the top corners? Thanks in advance

dacolson

Re: Cutting door sequence

Post by dacolson » June 16th, 2020, 10:48 am

Interested. I've sprung 2 so far.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 16th, 2020, 11:46 am

I typically cut the vertical sides first then top and bottom while leaving a bit at the ends to hold to door. Not sure order really matters tho. Heat from the cut can be a bigger factor, as can the actual pipe. Every pipe has stresses in it from being rolled that will release no matter what you do and some worse than others.

Just cut it and straighten it later. Keep your heat down but no real trick to it. Typically plan some time to straighten the door tho as most tend to twist at least a little.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » June 16th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Before I cut my doors out i weld in some braces on the back to help keep them in shape. Then I can cut them out and not worry about finishing them the same day. It also makes it easy to put them on something like a table to put the flanges on.

Claud McBroom

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 16th, 2020, 12:41 pm

McBroom wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 12:28 pm
Before I cut my doors out i weld in some braces on the back to help keep them in shape. Then I can cut them out and not worry about finishing them the same day. It also makes it easy to put them on something like a table to put the flanges on.

Claud McBroom
Sorry, you lost me. Before you cut them, you weld braces on the back. How do you do that? I assume you cut the ends of the tank off? Or you are using pipe, not tanks?

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » June 16th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Sorry I should've said I cut one end off then weld 2 bars on the inside of the tank after i make the initial corner cuts where the doors will be located at. Then I cut the doors completely out. (I

Claud McBroom

Return to “Fabrication How to's”