Cutting open a propane tank Video

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Cutting open a propane tank Video

Post by Frank_Cox » January 8th, 2012, 10:55 am

dcman and I had to cut open a Propane tank yesterday for a buddy of ours so we decided to video the process. we did not have video of us filling this tank with water and draining it so I will post an old video of that part first then a video of us cutting open this tank.
The water part.....

The cutting part....

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cutting open a propane tank Video

Post by Frank_Cox » January 8th, 2012, 11:19 am

BTW...For those wondering, that tank was 5/16" thick. cut like a dream :kewl:

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » January 8th, 2012, 11:30 am

Awesome Video! :kewl:
Thanks Frank!
Make's my 100# Eddy bottle look like a specimen cup!
:D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

GreenSmoker
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by GreenSmoker » January 8th, 2012, 12:13 pm

A for effort. The first vid is good but, the wind blowing is a bear. If you just used pliers and not a strap to hold the tank the valve was loose and not in correctly. After you pull the valve if it is cold out there is a chance of liquid being in the bottom, smaller tanks especially, and if you jar the tank it can slosh/expand ASAP. If you are sure there is no liquid, tip it over and drain the mercaptan out and at the same time it will drain any gas as it is heavier than air when that fresh/cold. Then fill it with water or argon, co2, car exhaust or any non flammable gas.

A for effort on the second vid but, even the saw got tired cutting thru a whole tank. You might edit it and show start, middle and end. And cut some with a torch as many of us can't justify that fine saw.

I don't want anyone to think I'm preaching, I put in 4 plus years at a supplier and while not the final answer, I messed with more of them than I care to remember. I applaud the effort and desire to educate, I gots neither.

GreenSmoker / Steve C.
Little Johnny says; " I like the way your thinkin' "

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » January 8th, 2012, 12:24 pm

GreenSmoker wrote:A for effort. The first vid is good but, the wind blowing is a bear. If you just used pliers and not a strap to hold the tank the valve was loose and not in correctly. After you pull the valve if it is cold out there is a chance of liquid being in the bottom, smaller tanks especially, and if you jar the tank it can slosh/expand ASAP. If you are sure there is no liquid, tip it over and drain the mercaptan out and at the same time it will drain any gas as it is heavier than air when that fresh/cold. Then fill it with water or argon, co2, car exhaust or any non flammable gas.
i had already evacuated and cleaned this tank once... then i said "doh!, I shoulda made a video" lol... anyway thanks for pointing all that out, but we do consider all safety precautions.
GreenSmoker wrote:A for effort on the second vid but, even the saw got tired cutting thru a whole tank. You might edit it and show start, middle and end. And cut some with a torch as many of us can't justify that fine saw.
point taken LOL... it is a little long. but it is a riveting video, aint it? I tryt not to use a torch unless i hafta. the excess heat will just cause more issues with doors springing etc. i try to use a cutting wheel on smaller tanks or a demo saw with an abrasive wheel on big tanks if i don't have one of these. a demo saw can be rented for $50.00 at the local rental place
GreenSmoker wrote:I don't want anyone to think I'm preaching, I put in 4 plus years at a supplier and while not the final answer, I messed with more of them than I care to remember. I applaud the effort and desire to educate, I gots neither.
no biggy on the preachin... this place is all about the education. i always think back to when i was learning some of this stuff an how i hated it when i could not see the whole process of what i was trying to learn so i usually try not to skip anything in the process.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 8th, 2012, 1:17 pm

:hissy: .....wow Greensmoker....you didn't even point out that at some point Frank was using one hand :oopssign: :rulz: ......

I'm just saying...... :huh: :explode2:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Tommy Joe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Tommy Joe » January 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Frank is dcman trying to get even for you posting that pic of him under the trailer with the grinder and not using PPE on his peepers :oopssign:

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » January 9th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Great flick fellers! Sure wish I had them fancy tools, he**, i wish i had them skilz. Oh well might just borrow yours when I'm ready! Better yet I'll bring refreshments for after class, and you can learn me! :kewl:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 9th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Ya know that saw wasn't as much as I though it was..... :huh: ....its just money anyways!! :headwall:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar