Dimensions : slide out cooking tray slides

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Dimensions : slide out cooking tray slides

Post by Puff » September 26th, 2013, 6:41 pm

I have gotten to the point where I have made the cookers' slide out meat trays. I was busy reading about the fabrication of the slides and I took some 1 1/4" angle with one looking up and the other looking down and welded them together as mentioned in another post on the site. I'm using 1" box tubing for the racks and expanded 3/4 metal for the trays. I am wondering if I did not leave enough gap for expansion when heated. I have about 3/32 of a "gap" over the 1 " square tube and expanded metal. I was so excited to see this come together that I never thought about how much of a space I may need for the ability to slide out the trays when the heat is on for 6-8 hours. Currently, it's a one handed operation and moves with no bind and little slop but that may change, correct?

What might be the general consensus ?
image.jpg

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Dimensions : slide out cooking tray slides

Post by TuscaloosaQ » September 26th, 2013, 7:23 pm

You should be fine I generally leave a tad more gap but your cook chamber does not get all that hot. Where you will run into problems is on a firebox

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Dimensions : slide out cooking tray slides

Post by Puff » September 26th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Well I appreciate the information , gives me a bit more confidence. The lower rack will have more clearance when it get to it.

UPDATE: decided to cut out the slides that were probably going to be too tight. Re-did them with a bit more clearance and they slide well..if they completely expanded 1/8 all around, it will still be good, I have a 1/4 " side to Side gap and about 5/32 top gap with the expanded metal on it.

I only know that with my luck, the tray would have slid out and after 3 hours of cook time, it would never have gone back in...... :?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Return to “Fabrication How to's”