Respirators

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Texasbowhunter
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Respirators

Post by Texasbowhunter » December 2nd, 2017, 12:23 pm

I'm curious as to what you guys wear for respirators when mig welding...
Wife came into garage and seems to believe I should be wearing a respirator when I'm welding...
I'm inclined to lean towards this but at this time do not have enough ammo to debate this with her...
One would need a unit small enough to fit under hood
I'm not looking for one that has a unit built into the hood and hose hanging from hip...
Which filter will benefit me the most?
I have seen the neoprene mask which has a filter inside it which appears to be a low profile unit but unsure if this would be adequate...
some guidance would be helpful...

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Re: Respirators

Post by pr0wlunwoof » December 3rd, 2017, 11:53 am

I weld in my 2 car garage with the door open. Occasionally I will run the ceiling fan if whatever I'm welding get a little smokey. Never thought about a respirator.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Smurf » December 3rd, 2017, 5:26 pm

:yth: i also weld in a two car garage a couple of property placed fans do ok.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » December 3rd, 2017, 7:25 pm

I dunno mate, but if my missus suggested I buy something because of the fumes ... well there you go a fume extractor is on the shopping list. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » December 4th, 2017, 4:00 am

I haven't used a respirator, but I weld outside mostly. I have to agree with AJ though, as good of an excuse as any. :)

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » December 4th, 2017, 4:17 pm

I don't use one either, but I do try to run a ventilated area for a lot of welding.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor

Post by Bricklayer2 » December 4th, 2017, 7:46 pm

I do wear a respirator when welding, grinding cleaning shop. I use a 3M half face mask with the round pink dust filter mostly. On occasion I use a filter for organic vapors when shooting solvent based paints. Probably saw to many training vids on this subject at Nuke plants, Better safe and they are not that bad after you get used to wearing them. You only have two lungs. :-o

Texasbowhunter
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Texasbowhunter » December 6th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Thanks Guys for your thoughts
I may look at a fume extractor later on after I get into my permanent location in a few years but in the mean time my wife feels like I need a little something now...I have no idea what a fume extractor would cost but will certainly entertain the thought about seeing if its feasable to build and maintain in the coming future

Bricklayer2
I had looked at the 3m and miller half face resirators and felt these may work for my needs until I can justify a bit more elaborate system...
However with this said I needed more guidence inthis areana...Yes its true I only have 2 lungs and need to protect them to see the granddaughter walk down the isle...And see my Great Grand Child come into the world...I only hope its not to late to reverse what ever I have subjected my respiratory system to, I have subjected my health to heaven knows what throught my life with the type of chemicals I have come into contact with...

Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor

Post by Bricklayer2 » December 7th, 2017, 6:24 pm

I know that is true, I have laid brick for 35+ years and I knew about silica dust but work had to go on :? , probably the single thing that got my attention in my home shop was when I was spraying equipment enamel and when I finished I almost could not breath through my nose. Took a day to get back to normal. When I sweep out the shop the mask goes on. I am 60ish and I just do better when I keep as much dust out. Now we played farm and had to register to spray tomatos, we had to use a full faced for some chemicals. The 3M mask was easy to get used to and I wear it regularly. :-bd

Return to “Fabrication How to's”