Shopping list / BOM / Cut list

Also called Stump's Clone.
aakelley
beginner
beginner

Shopping list / BOM / Cut list

Post by aakelley » August 21st, 2018, 10:34 am

I just purchased the mini GF plans. Here we go! Planning to build it 6" taller to add one additional rack and include the shelf for an (eventual) heater meter.

Unfortunately, my first question here has to be a dumb one (I promise I searched first): do the regular (non-DXF) Mini GF plans include a shopping list / BOM / cut list? I purchased and downloaded the 27 page build plans (worth every penny), but don't see anything that looks to me like a BOM / shopping list that I could send around to a few steel suppliers for bid. Am I just being dense?

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Shopping list / BOM / Cut list

Post by hannibalsmith63 » August 21st, 2018, 10:46 am

I bought the CNC cut sheets and it came with all what you are asking for. I am sure Frank would take care of you. The cnc files were worth every penny though. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current smokers: Pitboss K24, Char griller offset, DP Gravity Fed Stumps clone, and a Cheap Bradley in the garage somewhere! Oh, and a La Caja China Pig Roaster....

aakelley
beginner
beginner

Post by aakelley » August 21st, 2018, 10:52 am

Great thanks. Your download was all in one PDF file - build plans and BOM? Just want to make sure I am not missing a second file download somewhere obvious.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 21st, 2018, 11:13 am

The cut file is a fairly new thing. It is a separate file if available.

The regular plans do not include an overall shopping list. When I did mine (a rf) I had to go thru each piece and add up the dimensions to get total qty of each size steel. The tube and angle is pretty easy but I did get out a sheet of graph paper to ‘nest’ in the sheet pieces. Not a big deal.

This question is asked a lot....maybe you could post up material list once you calculate it.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » August 21st, 2018, 11:33 am

PM Frank on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

aakelley
beginner
beginner

Post by aakelley » August 21st, 2018, 12:05 pm

Thanks. WIll do.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » August 21st, 2018, 1:08 pm

I bought mini with cut sheet and I did receive a shopping list and cut list.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » August 21st, 2018, 2:52 pm

Its important to mention my cut list shows some 1 3/4" 14 ga tube for frame that i do not see on the plans. I have not built mine yet and its possible all will make sense once I start building. Either way I recommend looking over the plans a few times before buying materials

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » August 21st, 2018, 5:02 pm

Yep, no worries, I sent them to your email
:beer: :beer:

On another note, we do have some things on the list to improve such as the door tubing size. gonna be a while since we are backed up, but to those who need to know, 1-1/2 is totally fine to use.
:beer: :beer:

aakelley
beginner
beginner

Post by aakelley » September 22nd, 2018, 9:13 am

Build is progressing nicely and should be ready for a test run in a few weeks. Two questions:

1 - I am ordering the parts kit today and according to the site I need to order the large. No problem with that, but since I am building what is the smallest of the GF kits, I was just wondering if that’s right since there is also a small kit...what’s that for if not the mini?

2 - The parts list and plans are very thorough (thank you and well done!). However, I can’t seem to find any specific mention of the 1.5” and 2” pipe to use as the grease drain and air inlet. Is there any specific type of pipe (assume sched 40 like the smoke stack) and any specific lenghts or just whatever works / fits?

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » September 22nd, 2018, 11:13 am

Use black pipe of length that fits. Look at other builds to see what they have done to attach to firebox. I did see a 2" pipe for the gf on the website with the parts kit.
I believe the large kit is correct. You can use the smaller latch if u prefer. I like the large one. Make sure to get 1.5" insulation not 2"

aakelley
beginner
beginner

Post by aakelley » September 24th, 2018, 9:15 am

Great thanks, On the insulation, can I just use mineral wool bats cut to fit?

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » September 24th, 2018, 1:38 pm

The batts would technically work, but you run the risk of them sagging in the wall leaving the top without insulation

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 25th, 2018, 12:36 am

I welded pins in between my walls to keep the insulation from sagging. 1 inch roofing nails to be exact.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » September 25th, 2018, 10:42 am

hey fellers, sorry for the late reply... Yes you need the large latch kit. the small is for flush face recessed doors. the difference is the latch offset depth

aakelley
beginner
beginner

Post by aakelley » October 2nd, 2018, 5:51 pm

Chromeski wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 2:52 pm
Its important to mention my cut list shows some 1 3/4" 14 ga tube for frame that i do not see on the plans. I have not built mine yet and its possible all will make sense once I start building. Either way I recommend looking over the plans a few times before buying materials
On this^^^ - did you ever reconcile this? Getting to the same point in my build and running into the same question.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 3rd, 2018, 12:49 am

aakelley wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 5:51 pm
Chromeski wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 2:52 pm
On this^^^ - did you ever reconcile this? Getting to the same point in my build and running into the same question.
Not exactly, I believe they were planning to make the door frame from heavier tube and that upgrade just hadn't made it in to the plans yet. I was just going tip build mine from the 14 ga and call it a day. Don't take my word for it tho Frank is the authority on that stuff. I have not built mine yet because for some reason it's incredibly difficult to get a quote on laser cutting, but that is a whole different story.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » October 4th, 2018, 5:19 am

Hey fellers, sorry for the late reply as I’m traveling.
There is no wrong way to build the door as long as its insulated and is flat with no twist.
I have used 1-1/2 11 gauge tubing with no issues.
Also I have made 2- 14 gauge pans one that fits inside the other and screwed them togeter or welded them with no tubing frame and this worked well.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”