Temp range.

Also called Stump's Clone.
hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Temp range.

Post by hutcho » October 3rd, 2018, 11:29 am

How low can you reliably run these gravity smokers? Specifically the double pan. Debating on what I want to build and being able to run lower for smoking sausage is a big deciding factor for me. I know I will never be able to control as good as my electric but a guy can hope right? I do intend to run some form of a controller.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Temp range.

Post by ajfoxy » October 3rd, 2018, 4:10 pm

The DP is pretty easy to maintain temps, even just using the ball valve. With a controller (bbq guru, heatermeater etc) it becomes even easier.
Never having run an electric unit I can't give you a comparison, but my son in law is a chef and he was amazed how easily one could adjust the temps. And being a chef he is ultra picky about how the meat comes out. Obviously nothing is instant, but then you are a smoker not a short order cook so time is not so critical. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » October 3rd, 2018, 6:29 pm

With a HeaterMeter controller on my double pan GF, I can maintain 200 degrees F on the low end pretty easily. Below that, it starts to get a bit spotty on lump charcoal. As long as I can keep the fire lit, +/- 1 degree F is maintainable with a HeaterMeter (and probably any other controller.)

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » October 4th, 2018, 10:19 am

So after rereading the Mack thread for the 5000th time I'm back to leaning towards it. Frank shows the wc running at around 160 with the cc at 250ish. That would be about perfect for me. I could smoke sausage and everything else at the same time. Also I want to be trailer mounted and I have an idea for a GF trailer build I'm not it would be better than Mack. Unless I miss guessed somewhere I'm thinking cost wise they will both be around the same? 2-2500 ballpark?

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 17th, 2018, 7:50 pm

The mack is an amazing unit. Cost can vary a lot depending on cost of supplies in your location. And if you can process all the steel yourself.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 17th, 2018, 11:13 pm

You will easily have 2k invested in a full size smoker for steel, hardware, gaskets and welding gas/wire. Add in for any cutting you have done, delivery charges, paint and any beer money and you have a sizable investment.

This assumes you purchase new materials and do your own manpower. Best part is you can build it over time so the sticker shock is not as bad.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » October 18th, 2018, 5:45 am

Currently saving up for it. Got a cousin that works at a metal shop and he said he can get me "scraps"for a decent price. Also get a discount on the cutting. I'm planning on saving 3k, hopefully come in under budget but that never happens lol!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 18th, 2018, 10:21 am

Sounds realistic...it is amazing how fast everything adds up. Many don’t realize what all is involved and how big a project it is.

I ended up purchasing a pair of angle grinders, a hole saw bit set and bought an extra gas cylinder during my build. Not directly related or absolutely necessary but sure made life easier. Those add up up too!

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » October 18th, 2018, 10:31 am

I'm still debating/convincing my wife on whether or not I should have the parts cut or just got ahead and add a plasma cutter to the collection. Have to see what the price is gonna be. Talked to Frank a while back before steel prices shot up and all the material on a pallet precut really was pretty reasonable.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » October 18th, 2018, 11:49 am

Personally, I'd love to have a plasma cutter. You'd either need to get one with a built-in compressor, or have a source of *DRY* compressed air. There's also a bit of a learning curve.

Or.... pick up a metal cutting circular saw, but those are only good for straight cuts. It will make a racket.

After building my double pan GF.... I should have bought & had the sheet cut somewhere else. After it was all said & done, the difference in price & headache was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » October 18th, 2018, 12:22 pm

I guess I should clarify my situation some. Got a pretty well stocked shop. But mostly for auto work. Car lift, big ass air compressor, torch set, Miller 215 multiprocess, etc. I know my compressor is big enough, need to work on a better dryer system though. I will have one some day that for sure. Just not sure I wanna 1. Spend the money. 2 take the time to make all the cuts myself lol! My stepdad has one and I've used them a bunch, just don't have access to it anymore. Got a buddy I could loan one from probably.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » October 18th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Those circular saws are awesome! The HVAC guys had one on a job I was on. It cut like butter through that tin, but God did it make one hell of a racket!

Crazycooter
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Crazycooter » May 20th, 2019, 9:44 pm

I run my mini (plans bought from this site) at 150 160 in the dead of summer all the time for bacon/jerky my custom built super mini i can maintain at 130 i know for sure but probably 120. Never tried. My super mini is harder to get above 325 than the mini i bought plans for though. It will get there but its definitely working hard

Crazycooter

Post by Crazycooter » May 20th, 2019, 9:52 pm

IMG_20190520_3130.jpg
The one on the left is my design. Best thing ever if you like to smoke during the week or like to entertain on weekends

Crazycooter

Post by Crazycooter » May 20th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Racks are 18 by 15 and it burns about 6 lbs of lump at 275 in 8 hours

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 21st, 2019, 4:15 am

:LG: :LG: :LG:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » May 21st, 2019, 9:12 am

Crazycooter wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 9:55 pm
Racks are 18 by 15 and it burns about 6 lbs of lump at 275 in 8 hours
That's all right.

My DP ran 18 hours 10 days ago on 22-24 lbs of lump at 225 degrees. I'm pretty happy with it.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » May 22nd, 2019, 5:25 am

:LG: Nice...

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford