Post by Smokin_Delights » December 11th, 2018, 12:24 pm

As above, wonderin what's the best paint etc to use to coat my dp
Does it need an undercoat as well. UK products if possible thnaks

Mark

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Best heat resistant paint to use

Post by ajfoxy » December 11th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Google is a good tool for info. Search "heat resistant paint site:.uk" will get you a list of ...well heat resitant paints. After that you'll have to do due dilligence and sort the sales splurb from fact.
Presumably you can get Rustoleum paints over there? Here in Aus we can get High Heat Primer Spray... good for 1093C and a variety of colours. Well not such a variety but the usual suspects of black, silver, blue(ish) and one or two others.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » December 12th, 2018, 4:13 am

To answer your question, I don't know. You don't necessarily need high temp paint except for around the firebox the rest of the cooker should stay cool enough for most any paint.
Most guys use the high heat rustoleum , but I've seen several that do powder coating or automotive paint. When choosing a paint read the application instructions first. Many of the paints I've looked at required curing with heat that simply isn't practical for the smoker at home. I am interested to see what you find since I haven't settled on what I will paint mine with.

Smokin_Delights
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin_Delights » December 12th, 2018, 9:25 am

Cool, cheers for the info. Reason I asked was encase anyone else had advice for paints rather than me having to spend time on Google, but yes i did see the rustoleum paints there.
I do have mates who own a car bodyshop who could paint the full thing,bit of hassle moving the smoker once it's done though so maybe just keep it simple. I'll let you know what I decide on

Thanks

chefbrady
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by chefbrady » January 2nd, 2019, 4:49 pm

I powder coated my dp gf smoke.
Beauty! Still a bit of burn around the firebox but the rest is pretty much bullet proof! ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”