Double pan materials list

Also called Stump's Clone.
Lanman

Double pan materials list

Post by Lanman » October 23rd, 2018, 11:06 am

I've gone though previous posts and done as best a search as I could only find a partial answer for this question

Does anyone have a rough materials list for a Double pan gravity fed? I mostly just need to know the total amount of steel needed, the hardware I have already figured out.

My wife has given me permission to go ahead but only if I can give her a proper cost rundown. I know there is a list available with the plans. but I am not allowed to spend $180cdn on plans to find out the steel cost in my area is prohibitively expensive.

I live in norther British Columbia, steel can be either really cheap or super expensive depending on how busy the gas fields are.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Double pan materials list

Post by ajfoxy » October 23rd, 2018, 4:27 pm

Welcome.
I'm a tad confused. Are you going to build this according to the plans available? Or are you going to wing it?
Without the plans you won't know how big to cut the pieces so a bill of materials is not going to do much for you as you might make the parts bigger or smaller.
If you have the plans you can work out the size of each piece and add them all up. Even without the official plans, you'd still have to do a sketch up of what you wanted to build with rough measurements.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 23rd, 2018, 6:25 pm

I think he's asking for a rough materials list, like 10 sticks of 2'' tubing and 3 sheets of plate steel etc so that he can get an estimated cost for materials in his country. Then he can try to convince the Missus that it's affordable at which point he will purchase the plans. I haven't built one so I'm unable to help you out but someone may come along that can.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 23rd, 2018, 7:17 pm

This question comes up a lot. So far, nobody has posted an accurate answer.

Lanman

Post by Lanman » October 23rd, 2018, 8:18 pm

Big T wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 6:25 pm
I think he's asking for a rough materials list, like 10 sticks of 2'' tubing and 3 sheets of plate steel etc so that he can get an estimated cost for materials in his country. Then he can try to convince the Missus that it's affordable at which point he will purchase the plans. I haven't built one so I'm unable to help you out but someone may come along that can.
What he said.

I wanted to buy and use these plans https://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?m ... ebefabf24p and messaged Frank about it but his answer was to buy the cnc files. And I don't want to spend $180 to find out steel is going to cost me $6000

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 23rd, 2018, 8:42 pm

With my build, I bought the plans and then nested all the sheet and added up the structural to make my steel order. I’m not sure there is any other way. You need the plans anyway so the money is not wasted. It will also allow you to see what you have to do so you can make sure your tools/skills are up to the task.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » October 23rd, 2018, 8:43 pm

Lanman wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 8:18 pm
Big T wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 6:25 pm
What he said.

I wanted to buy and use these plans https://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?m ... ebefabf24p and messaged Frank about it but his answer was to buy the cnc files. And I don't want to spend $180 to find out steel is going to cost me $6000
So, I seen the email you mentioned. I sent you a PM. That should help you out. :beer:

Lanman

Post by Lanman » October 25th, 2018, 12:24 am

Thanks a lot Frank that really did help me out.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » October 26th, 2018, 7:40 am

Lanman wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 12:24 am
Thanks a lot Frank that really did help me out.
:beer:

lane620

Post by lane620 » October 24th, 2019, 1:37 pm

i know this is an old post , i'm trying to figure out witch plans i want to purchase. I already have a 48x96 sheet of plate, I was wondering how many sheets of plate this size does the mini or the double take.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 24th, 2019, 4:09 pm

lane620 wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 1:37 pm
i know this is an old post , i'm trying to figure out witch plans i want to purchase. I already have a 48x96 sheet of plate, I was wondering how many sheets of plate this size does the mini or the double take.
I would recommend sending Frank a PM, he can answer that question but he probably won't see this post because he stays pretty busy.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » October 24th, 2019, 9:18 pm

lane620 wrote:
Hey buddy! The mini requires 3- 4x8 sheets or so and the double pan is 6- 4x8 sheets or so.
Big T wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 4:09 pm
lane620 wrote:
I would recommend sending Frank a PM, he can answer that question but he probably won't see this post because he stays pretty busy.
Thanks bro! You always got my back :beer:

lane620

Post by lane620 » October 25th, 2019, 7:29 am

thank you

sjb67
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member

Post by sjb67 » October 26th, 2019, 8:08 am

Don’t know if this is an option or not but i bought my plans before the cut file was available and I have a local coded vessel shop I use at work. I took them the plans and they CNC plasma and water cut all the plate and skins for me. They charge for the steel by the pound. I got everything cut and purchased less the tubing for 300.00 bucks.

Homebuilt offset trailer mount, Big Hat offset vertical, XL BGE and soon a home built double pan gravity feed from smoker builder plans.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 31st, 2019, 4:43 am

sjb67 wrote:
October 26th, 2019, 8:08 am
Don’t know if this is an option or not but i bought my plans before the cut file was available and I have a local coded vessel shop I use at work. I took them the plans and they CNC plasma and water cut all the plate and skins for me. They charge for the steel by the pound. I got everything cut and purchased less the tubing for 300.00 bucks.

I think you came out very good

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » October 31st, 2019, 4:57 am

:yth: Very good price.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 31st, 2019, 8:01 pm

Not a bad deal at all!

Hg1027
beginner
beginner

Post by Hg1027 » November 3rd, 2019, 6:32 pm

Scrap price here in Houston yesterday morning was $3.57/sf for 1/4" plate. New sheets of 4x8 were 180, or almost $6/sf.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » November 3rd, 2019, 10:56 pm

Guess it depends on what you need. It would depend on what kind of waste you have left over.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”