Tools needed for GF build?

Also called Stump's Clone.
jd-santaclarita

Tools needed for GF build?

Post by jd-santaclarita » December 29th, 2017, 1:58 am

Hi all - This maybe captured somewhere, but I didn't see it anywhere. I'm contemplating diving into building the mini GF but a little concerned if I have the right tools to do it right. I've got the following:

- millermatic 211 mig welder
- angle grinder
- lots of clamps and squares and levels
- basic hand tools

To do this right what else do I need? I'm debating on getting the harbor freight 4x6 band saw to help with the cuts. I always struggle getting things square, do I need something or a jig of some type to help as I'd hate to end up with a crooked mess.

Thanks,
JD

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Re: Tools needed for GF build?

Post by Elmacho » December 29th, 2017, 2:16 am

Square precise cuts are key to building a square frame. The measurements of the panels are laid out in a way they fit like a puzzle. If you are off 1/16 you will be adjusting throughout the build. For the size of the tubing, I went with an evolution cold saw off amazon for $199. I can let you know tomorrow if it’s good enough for the flush cuts. As for panels and firebox parts. You can grind them, plasma them, or have someone cut them all. It just depends on how patient you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Heatermeter builder » December 29th, 2017, 11:07 am

jd-santaclarita wrote:Hi all - This maybe captured somewhere, but I didn't see it anywhere. I'm contemplating diving into building the mini GF but a little concerned if I have the right tools to do it right. I've got the following:

- millermatic 211 mig welder
- angle grinder
- lots of clamps and squares and levels
- basic hand tools

To do this right what else do I need? I'm debating on getting the harbor freight 4x6 band saw to help with the cuts. I always struggle getting things square, do I need something or a jig of some type to help as I'd hate to end up with a crooked mess.

Thanks,
JD
I would see about getting the parts laser cut.

For the double pan, I was able to get everything cut and have extra extra pieces of steel(tubes, sheet, and angle) for whatnot for a total of about $1600. The mini is much smaller so it would be probably half that total. I figured it was not much more to have it all cut then to go and buy tools to cut it at home and also it saved a ton of time.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » December 29th, 2017, 7:55 pm

I'm in the middle of my mini build. I would definitely invest in something to cut tubing. I would look at getting the sheet cut as it is the most tedious. A chop saw did the job ok first cuts and I cleaned up with and cut the miter ends with a band saw. The absolutely best thing I have had in my build thus far is my friend down the road. This thing is massive and I'm only 2/3rds to 3/4 done.

My list if tools:

Mig with gas bottle (Also borrowed another mig and bottle thus far we have burnt a whole bottle and I see another before are done)
Plasma cutter
Grinders
About 30 clamps
4x8 welding table
220 stick welder for the fire box

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » December 30th, 2017, 3:12 am

I would suggest getting corner magnet clamps, at least 4 of them, then you'll have a better chance to get stuff square. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » December 30th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Tools that I’ve picked up for my mini build.

Fireball Tool Mini Monster square with proper vice grips for it.

Evolution Rage3 dry saw. This thing works perfect for the then square tubing and stic pieces for the mini and double pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd-santaclarita

Post by jd-santaclarita » December 31st, 2017, 12:49 pm

Ended up picking up that HF bandsaw as I needed it for another project. Cut some unistrut pieces and it seems to cut pretty well. The stand is absolutely a joke and quite wobbly/flimsy dangerous to hold that heavy saw, but the actual saw seems pretty good. I just ordered the fireball tool mini square and the mini mega, I had my eye on those a while back and given I dont have a welding table I want to stack all the odds in my favor to get a true square build. Will probably get the sheet parts cut locally, I dont trust my skills there.

Thanks,
JD

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 31st, 2017, 6:35 pm

It all depends on how hard you want to work at it. Many ah liner miles have been cut in sheet steel with a cut off wheel. Done correctly its a great edge to weld to. Dont pay attention and its a train wreck.

So, If there is someone that can cut your plate for cheep then I say to go for it.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » January 3rd, 2018, 2:53 pm

:yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » January 4th, 2018, 12:21 am

I retract my suggestion for the Evolution Rage3. You did good with the Harbor Freight Band Saw. The Evolution cut amazing for about the first 2 hours, then the blade died on it. at $35 bucks a blade and the fact you have to order them, makes this saw not shop worthy in my book.