1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Also called Stump's Clone.
Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet, Family and Friends!

Re: 1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Post by Cole » January 14th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Like it, good job! Congratulations!

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Post by Heatermeter builder » January 14th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Thanks, and here are is some food pron

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » January 14th, 2018, 10:10 pm

:beer: Nice Q-view... :needfood: :needfood:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 15th, 2018, 2:07 pm

:LG: :beer: :needfood:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Cole » January 15th, 2018, 8:42 pm

Yum! How long did you smoke them and at what temperature? Are you starting with a dry rub then basting or using a BBQ sauce?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 15th, 2018, 9:04 pm

:needfood: :needfood: :needfood: :needfood: :needfood:
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Re: RE: Re: 1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Post by Heatermeter builder » January 15th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Cole wrote:Yum! How long did you smoke them and at what temperature? Are you starting with a dry rub then basting or using a BBQ sauce?
I did a 3.2.1 method on 6 racks. 3 hours smoke at 230°, followed by 2 hours of wrapped in in tin foil with Worch, butter, apple juice, and brown sugar. Then back on the smoker until finish and until they bend good I put a SBR with apple juice and rub on them. 3 racks I did something different, I did an homemade asian BBQ sauce and just a 5 spice powder rub. The last 2 hours I applied the sauce. The other 6 racks had just a basic rub.

The Asian ribs were awesome

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » January 18th, 2018, 6:02 am

Looks very tasty dude, nice job! :needfood:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » January 23rd, 2018, 7:51 pm

That is some sweet food pron.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Re: RE: Re: 1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Post by Heatermeter builder » January 23rd, 2018, 8:17 pm

temurf wrote:That is some sweet food pron.
Thanks. They turned out pretty good.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 24th, 2018, 3:43 am

temurf wrote:That is some sweet food pron.

Nice dyslexia...lol ...relate I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 30th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Nice

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » February 4th, 2018, 2:38 am

I don't have much left to do until this spring it gets some paint. The one problem i have is a place to put crap and I decided to fix that problem by adding a removable side shelve. The extra free steel that my steel supply gave me was enough to make it. The leg was a perfect height and is not going to welded to the shelve, to make it more easier for storage and the shelf just slide on a L shaped bracket I made with pieces of flat stock. The only problem I will probably have with it will be paint in the area it connects to the smoker, but i will figure something out. I will also be adding a stainless over the top to protect it also.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » February 4th, 2018, 5:15 am

Nice. Just make sure the leg is secure and not just propped there. Last thing you want is all your tucker lying on the floor because you kicked the leg out accidently. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 4th, 2018, 11:32 am

Loose legs get kicked out. Pan of ribs go flying! Baked beans everywhere ( oh, wait....that was me!).

How bout a hinge that flips up and you could either brace it back to the smoker (below the shelf) or use a small chain off the corner.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » February 4th, 2018, 11:38 am

A hinge would be good idea on the leg. I just want it tp be able to lie flat when not in use.

Thanks for the idea.

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Cole » February 7th, 2018, 7:06 pm

I like the hinge and chain idea, maybe a couple heavy duty magnets to hold it up - Ok I might use that idea too!

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » February 8th, 2018, 9:06 am

Nice Shelf! I plan on including shelves, but want something removable for transport, so I'm designing a shelf system that can be attached using E-Track. Using this, I can also have detachable handles for transport, and even the tie-downs can be removable and swappable.

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Cole » February 9th, 2018, 11:45 am

wbegg wrote:Nice Shelf! I plan on including shelves, but want something removable for transport, so I'm designing a shelf system that can be attached using E-Track. Using this, I can also have detachable handles for transport, and even the tie-downs can be removable and swappable.
Who makes E-Track?

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » February 9th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Cole wrote:
wbegg wrote:Nice Shelf! I plan on including shelves, but want something removable for transport, so I'm designing a shelf system that can be attached using E-Track. Using this, I can also have detachable handles for transport, and even the tie-downs can be removable and swappable.
Who makes E-Track?
Many makers. I got mine from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/DC-Cargo-Mall-Ti ... k+vertical

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » February 9th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Interesting idea but you weld and fabricate....why not show off your skills? Why use a commercial tie down system just to put on a simple shelf? Seems like it is being over complicated when a simple piece of angle iron would provide a nice slot to put a removable shelf on.

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » February 9th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Dirtytires wrote:Interesting idea but you weld and fabricate....why not show off your skills? Why use a commercial tie down system just to put on a simple shelf? Seems like it is being over complicated when a simple piece of angle iron would provide a nice slot to put a removable shelf on.
But with this system, I can have multiple shelves, at any level I need. Just move up or down to suit. No use in re-inventing the wheel. I'll still have to fabricate a shelf to weld to the clips that are stock. It's like saying "why buy angle iron, why not make it yourself by welding flat stock at 90 degrees?" lol

Plus, I can have removable/interchangeable handles, tool hangers, tie-downs, baskets, etc.

Just an idea, only a concept at this point.

And by no means am I a welder or fabricator, just a Tinkerer. Reminds me of a saying. When an apprentice makes a mistake, he starts over. When a professional makes a mistake, he fixes it. When a Master Craftsman makes a mistake, he leaves it alone and calls it a feature.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » February 10th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I’m intrigued...

I’ve used those track systems plenty in my car hauling days. Mine always had lots of slop in them and the stamped parts would most likely warp when welded to. I’m interested to see what you come up with.

For the record, I do make my own angle iron.

(Just kidding)

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » February 11th, 2018, 3:30 pm

Have a Chuck Roast on and later 10 pounds of wings

http://myuds.servebeer.com/luci