Mini Steel Cost

Also called Stump's Clone.
Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet, Family and Friends!

Re: Mini Steel Cost

Post by Cole » February 8th, 2018, 6:37 am

Dirtytires wrote:Add in a few gauges, paint, consumables,a few hardware items and a smokebuilder sticker. Gonna push you real close to $2k.
I thought you were talking about cold beverages, amber in color! Yea, the more I look at what others are doing the project seems to grow, I want to add a shelf and a controller!

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » February 8th, 2018, 7:06 am

If you're going to get a controller skip the 2" ball valve and put the controller on right away. You'll save the cost of the ball valve, which isn't cheap and won't be needed.

Too much is just right!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 8th, 2018, 11:40 am

Just when I thought I was finished, I had to order a Bluetooth BBQ monitor and probes....and a new instant read....and....

It just never stops, but it's fun!

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Cole » February 10th, 2018, 6:51 am

mp4 wrote:If you're going to get a controller skip the 2" ball valve and put the controller on right away. You'll save the cost of the ball valve, which isn't cheap and won't be needed.

Too much is just right!
MP4 - Good to know, not sure if I will be able to start with the controller or not. Kinda depends on how the project goes or how much it grows. Thanks, Cole

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Heatermeter builder » February 10th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Cole wrote:
mp4 wrote:If you're going to get a controller skip the 2" ball valve and put the controller on right away. You'll save the cost of the ball valve, which isn't cheap and won't be needed.

Too much is just right!
MP4 - Good to know, not sure if I will be able to start with the controller or not. Kinda depends on how the project goes or how much it grows. Thanks, Cole
When you are building your smoker, build a heatermeter. You can get kits for less then $100 and they will have tons more options then then any premade system.

Regardless, which system you decide to hace, you will definitely want something to control the mini. I tried to use my double pan GF and it took over an hour to get the temperature from 48°f to 50°f, there was no way I was going to wait and see how long it would take to get the thing to 200+f

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » February 11th, 2018, 3:36 am

What part of the country are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Cole » February 11th, 2018, 7:40 am

Elmacho wrote:What part of the country are you located?

Ohio / Michigan boundary near Lake Erie

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Cole » February 11th, 2018, 7:42 am

Heatermeter builder wrote:
Cole wrote:

Too much is just right!
When you are building your smoker, build a heatermeter. You can get kits for less then $100 and they will have tons more options then then any premade system.

Regardless, which system you decide to hace, you will definitely want something to control the mini. I tried to use my double pan GF and it took over an hour to get the temperature from 48°f to 50°f, there was no way I was going to wait and see how long it would take to get the thing to 200+f

I will keep you posted, it's nice there are a lot of options!

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » April 20th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Heater meter is the best. I have not used the fan yet but the web interface and ability to use whatever probe you want is by far the best option. Plus it's open source which means your not relying on someone's profit margin :-|

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » April 20th, 2018, 7:41 pm

pr0wlunwoof wrote:Heater meter is the best. I have not used the fan yet but the web interface and ability to use whatever probe you want is by far the best option. Plus it's open source which means your not relying on someone's profit margin :-|

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Although, you can use any type of probe, there are only two that are present in the settings, which are thermoworks Pro series and Mavericks. Of the two thermoworks are by far the best. They are water resistant, cheap and have straight, bent, short, long varieties.

But, you can also, with some testing and math use any other probes you like. You just have to figure out the coefficients.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » April 20th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Thanks for the clarifications. I can also tell you about web interfaces, security, hot spots, and a ton of other stuff. Pretty much heater meter if your worth your salt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 6th, 2018, 5:08 pm

I've just recently got two quotes to cut steel for my mini. One was $1500 and one at $875. This does not count any tube, angle, or expanded. I'm hoping to hear from another steel cutting guy before I drain my account.

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » October 7th, 2018, 12:53 am

Where are you located?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 7th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I hope that includes the steel itself. Even tho, that sounds a bit high. I would make the argument that it is time to purchase a plasma cutter and do it yourself. Good excuse to buy a new tool and you will have it for years to come.

I pull mine out at least once a week.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: SmokinAddict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » October 7th, 2018, 3:27 pm

YTH. I would buy the plasma.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » October 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Ouch. Seems high. I will say though. Even with a plasma cutter it's a tone of cuts. I would wait for the kit they have been working on.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 7th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Elmacho wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 12:53 am
Where are you located?

I'm in southern California, yes includes steel. I agree more than I want to spend, but if i buy a plasma I'll need to learn how to use it too might ruin a few sheets. I've had a difficult time just getting estimates for some reason. One way or another I just need to build a smoker

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 8th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Just a thought but have you considered how much the extra 6 inches are costing you? For instance, a square that is 24x48 inches can be made out of 1 sheet of steel. If you add just 1 inch to either dimension you need 2 sheets which doubles your cost. If you add 1 inch to both dimensions you now need 4 sheets. Just because you don’t take home the drops does not mean you are not charged for the entire sheet and the more sheets you need increases labor charges to change them out on the table. Take a few minutes and draw out your cuts and you may find those 6 inches are greatly increasing cost.

You can then call and get the cost of the sheet steel so you will know what the cutting will cost to help determine if that convenience is worth the cost.

I nested mine and found I could save quite a bit by special ordering 2 sheets at 4x10 instead of using 3 of the standard 4x8 sheets. They were 0.5 inch thick so a bear to move but I just kept sliding off the end of 3 sawhorses and cutting as I went. Manageable but this is definately not an option if you need to clean up the garage every night to pull the car in.

As far as the tube and angles, most come in standard 20 foot sections-always buy in full stock legnth. All the yards I’ve ever been to will cut it in half and load it in my truck for no additional fees. You will end up with very little waste if you think things out and it is easily cut with an angle grinder.

Wcooke24

Post by Wcooke24 » November 25th, 2018, 10:30 am

Does anyone know the cost to paint and what type of paint do most people use

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » November 25th, 2018, 12:15 pm

I used rustoleum grill paint. Bought it by the quart and a cheap spray gun. It has held up fine.

Wcooke24

Post by Wcooke24 » November 25th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Thank you sir. I am currently using a 250 gallon propane tank reverse flow. It is great but if I am only going to cook one butt or one brisket or just a few racks of ribs for the family it is kinda overkill. I just used rattle cans of the flat black for that build but was looking for some different paint colors and looks for this. Thanks for your help

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » November 25th, 2018, 4:07 pm

I gotcha. I have heard of folks using engine block paint. Any high heat paint should hold up pretty good. Allot of guys powder coat, but I'm a little more function over fashion.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » November 26th, 2018, 11:26 am

Much of the “high temp” paints need to be heat cured at 350-450 degrees. Not sure how they hold up without the cure as I won’t push my pit that hot. Interested to know if anyone has any experience here...

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » January 24th, 2019, 6:15 am

The Mini is fully insulated. Not a real use case for high temp paint since the outside doesn’t get above 100 degrees. I powder coat mine for durability but have seen rattle can and car paint used.

Did you find a better price on getting everything cut?