Another Mini Build Log

Also called Stump's Clone.
Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Another Mini Build Log

Post by Squiggle » June 18th, 2017, 6:45 am

Wholly Dooley!! My missus would have my marbles in a vice if I built mine on the dining room floor :o

Looks awesome though, nice work! & I bet that won't be the last thing you have to re-do, I lost count of the things I had to do over, lol. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » June 18th, 2017, 8:18 pm

You guys have some funny phrases in the out back. lol [emoji23]

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » June 18th, 2017, 8:51 pm

:yth:
ajfoxy wrote: I think my missus would have spat the dummy long before I got to that stage of the build if I had tried that... :D
Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing that it aint good.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » June 19th, 2017, 1:58 am

As in a child spitting out the dummy when it is upset. A colloquial saying similar to "chucking all the toys out the cot" Basically when someone is REALLY upset.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 19th, 2017, 5:39 am

I had to look it up "dummy" = pacifier.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » June 19th, 2017, 12:20 pm

I understood it. Just got back to the states last year after 4 years in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » June 23rd, 2017, 8:00 am

Lol, yeah we do talk funny! =))

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » June 23rd, 2017, 9:26 am

wbegg wrote:Did a mock-up of FB to frame today, and really glad I did. I found 1 piece of tubing I welded in the wrong place (The one that supports the diffuser). What a PITA. Cut out old part, ground down, and go it in the right place now.
I'm a few days behind on this thread but it sounds like exactly the same thing I did on my mini build wbegg.

That moment of realization where you do test fit and are scratching your head and going, "No way this can be right--where's those plans?!?"

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » June 23rd, 2017, 8:52 pm

In lieu of cutting the grass today, I decided to get the frame on wheels (temporarily) before I start skinning the cat, and add the fire box. took MUCH longer than I thought. I should have had the fab shop cut the squares for the mounting as well. Thank you Harbor Freight for having fixed casters, as my Amazon order for 2 swivel and 2 fixed arrived with 4 swivel casters.

OH, and my Vegetarian Boss at work (I know) has nicknamed this build "The Crematorium". I like the name and may do a laser cut logo on the front door.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 23rd, 2017, 9:23 pm

That is looking good. Nice wheels too. And there's nothing wrong with four swivel wheels. Sometimes you need to manoever into a tight spot and four swivels allows you to. Two swivel and two fixed make it a multi point turn... just saying... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » June 23rd, 2017, 9:30 pm

ajfoxy wrote:That is looking good. Nice wheels too. And there's nothing wrong with four swivel wheels. Sometimes you need to manoever into a tight spot and four swivels allows you to. Two swivel and two fixed make it a multi point turn... just saying... :D
Good point. I may put the other two swivels on.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 23rd, 2017, 9:59 pm

Nice :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » June 23rd, 2017, 10:27 pm

:LG:

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 24th, 2017, 6:54 am

Yes look [emoji102] ing good

Making memories!

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » June 24th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Dang! Starting to weld the inside sheets on. Man It's quite the task doing this with a grinder cut-off wheel. Ran into a stump, and am trying to figure out how to bend plate "B" (drip pan plate). Harbor Freight has a 36 inch bender, but only rated for 20 g metal, but just a 6 degree bend so may give it a go. Any suggestions?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 24th, 2017, 9:20 pm

If you have a very sturdy work bench clamp the steel with angle iron underneath (to give a sharper bend) a piece of angle on top to hold it straight etc.
Then gently tap with a hammer along the fold line. The operative word is gently. You want to sloooowwwllly bend the metal. Once you have the bend you want put the bent piece (small piece) on the angle iron and tap it straight.
Alternatively get the HF bender if you might use it again. But if you are going to be building more smokers I might suggest getting a decent bender anyway.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 25th, 2017, 8:38 am

You can cut the pieces and weld them back together at the right fit. You will need to this pretty cold, or use heavier plate for this piece. There are always more than one option.

Making memories!

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » June 27th, 2017, 1:04 am

:yth: I put a flat bottom on & the welded in another piece for the slope, much easier! :kewl:

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » June 30th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Squiggle wrote::yth: I put a flat bottom on & the welded in another piece for the slope, much easier! :kewl:
So I bought a 30" $58 break from Harbor Freight, and that 16 gauge metal laughed at it. I ended up doing as you did - 2 pieces welded together. You were right. Much easier and turned out fine.

For the inside panels, I'm just welding the outside, as not to show my crappy welds. My idea was to line the internal corners with high temp, food grade silicon caulk to give it a finished look inside. How is everyone else approaching this?

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the rest of the inside panels welded in, and the fire box positioned and welded in.

It's coming along slowly, but MAN is this fun!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » June 30th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I must admit it I took the easy way out. It looked way too hard to do it in pieces. I stumped up for a finger brake capable of bending 2 mm along its length and bent the cook chamber sides. Then bent the floor and lid and fitted them and welded it up like that. Although the way you are doing it makes for good welding practice. I'm just a lazy bugger and my excuse is I need to purchase some tools now while I am still earning before I retire. Hey, I'm sticking to that excuse it has worked so far. :D

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » June 30th, 2017, 9:16 pm

ajfoxy wrote:I must admit it I took the easy way out. It looked way too hard to do it in pieces. I stumped up for a finger brake capable of bending 2 mm along its length and bent the cook chamber sides. Then bent the floor and lid and fitted them and welded it up like that. Although the way you are doing it makes for good welding practice. I'm just a lazy bugger and my excuse is I need to purchase some tools now while I am still earning before I retire. Hey, I'm sticking to that excuse it has worked so far. :D
That's a Bobby Dazzler! Good on ya, Mate!

I thought about the same thing, as I usually get into projects and buy a tool for one purpose thinking I may have a use for it in the future. Most of the time, it ends up in storage as most of my stuff did for 4 years while in Kalgoorlie, WA, but still keep everything 'cause I know I'll need it someday.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 1st, 2017, 12:22 pm

You guys sound like the tool hoarder I have been known for.

I was told that either you will learn to weld nicer or grinding will become a large part of the process.

You don't have to weld all of the inside and outside of the inner panels, but it is good practice. I would only tack the outside as i put it together, but do complete welding on the inside to seal her up nice.

jm2cw

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » July 2nd, 2017, 6:37 am

:yth:

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » July 2nd, 2017, 8:35 pm

Finished up on the inside panels today. Man, what a lot of welding. I decided to make cutting the panels out a bit easier with the purchase of a Hobart AirForce 12ci plasma cutter. I hesitated, but decided to take the leap. I'm having too much fun, so I'm sure I'll build more so I'll definitely have a use for it in the future.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 2nd, 2017, 8:40 pm

You sound like a buddy of our named Puff. He said when he first started I got a "free" oil tank I'm going to build a smoker for my friend. 2 years later he had acquired all the tools in a fab shop and built many smokers. I sure him.

Making memories!