Gravity feed pellet feeder

Also called Stump's Clone.
Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Gravity feed pellet feeder

Post by Squiggle » August 24th, 2017, 3:25 am

Nice work dude, both the food & the invention! :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Sand Hiller
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Title: Farm Shop Engineer

Post by Sand Hiller » August 24th, 2017, 8:02 am

I like your invention! I rummaged through my iron pile and found some thin wall black pipe that I think would work. Did you pick stainless for any particular reason/function? The only draw back with black pipe is see might be longevity and lack of a smooth bore (bridging).
Thoughts?

The two most powerful warriors are patience and time--LT

BBQChris
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by BBQChris » August 24th, 2017, 11:26 am

You notice any taste difference?
Would be interesting how much smoke flavour you would get with just charcoal and pellets.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

TurboMike
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: welder and fab

Post by TurboMike » August 24th, 2017, 1:26 pm

thats awesome!

No matter how many times i cut, its still to short!! :-w

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » August 24th, 2017, 5:24 pm

BBQChris wrote:You notice any taste difference?
Would be interesting how much smoke flavour you would get with just charcoal and pellets.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
I can't say for sure, I had intentions of leaving a couple of the ribs plain and in all the excitement I lathered them all with barbecue sauce, I'm thinking of putting an oak doll rod in the feeder next and seeing what happens. I contacted the company in Tennessee that makes the oak doll rods for Menards and was told that the only treatment their oak gets is kiln drying. I can tell you that I noticed the unused pellets in the feeder tube had started to swell up, I'm assuming this is a result of the heat and humidity in the upper portion of the charcoal chute. I would recommend not filling pellet feeder to the top.

I have tried mixing charcoal and pellets in the chute and my experience is the pellets tend to work their way down in spurts and result in inconsistant smoke.
Sand Hiller wrote:I like your invention! I rummaged through my iron pile and found some thin wall black pipe that I think would work. Did you pick stainless for any particular reason/function? The only draw back with black pipe is see might be longevity and lack of a smooth bore (bridging).
Thoughts?
I'm fortunate to have a job that allows me to treasure hunt our inventory which allows me to act on some of my hairbrain ideas, I did choose stainless because of the slick finish and potential bridging issue but don't really think it would be an issue, I used lump charcoal with this and as I'm sure you know there are some gnarly looking pieces when you use lump and I had no issues.

TurboMike wrote:thats awesome!
Thanks TurboMike

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » August 27th, 2017, 7:18 am

I have had good experience just putting chunks of wood in the ash pan and the embers burn it away adding smoke to my cooks. The stuff I've had from pellets don't have a great deal of smoke flavor on their own. I would add a chunk of wood wrapped in foil on the plate above the fire pot on a pellet pooper.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”