1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Also called Stump's Clone.
Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: 1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Post by Big T » November 15th, 2017, 10:02 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 16th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Some more pics. Now, I have some waiting for some more steel, which needs to be cut

post picture to web

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » November 16th, 2017, 4:20 pm

:LG:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » November 16th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 20th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Just recieved my quarter inch material and will hopefully get it welded up tonight.

When I went to get my material a few weeks ago, they could not find the half inch laser cut material, so they plasma cut it. Well today, what do I find on the pallet, the lost half inch material. So now I have an extra fire box.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Big T

Post by Big T » November 20th, 2017, 6:37 pm

:kewl: all ready gathering parts for the next one!

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 21st, 2017, 1:36 am

Big T wrote::kewl: all ready gathering parts for the next one!
My wife would not even hesitate, she would kill me, lol

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » November 21st, 2017, 2:46 am

=))

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Big T

Post by Big T » November 21st, 2017, 8:22 pm

=)) =))

Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor

Post by Bricklayer2 » November 21st, 2017, 8:38 pm

I understand, I completely understand, my wife does not understand why I am still drawing plans, I tell her its like boats you need three(at least), one for pan fish, one for catfish and stripers and one to go up river :D

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 21st, 2017, 8:49 pm

My wife is Chinese Malaysian, she only understands one thing, "why are you making it, if it's not going to be making money"

To her it's only costing us money and taking up space in the garage.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 24th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I was able to do some more work. I'm also having an issue with my welder and my garages 15amp circuit, so tonight or tomorrow I'm going to install a 20amp breaker and an outlet. I'm having issues with welding the .250 and half inch marerial, as it is I'm having to reset the breaker after about a minute, sometimes sooner.

Anyways, I have the fire box almost finished. It's not as heavy as I thought, lol I as I used the hulk in me and lifted up into the smoker myself, well all except the chute part of it as I have not finished that part yet.

I also legthened the caster legs so I could put a storage rack down there and now I may need to weld on a foldable step to be able to get the charcoal into smoker, but we'll see about that.

upload photos

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » November 24th, 2017, 10:44 pm

That is looking good.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Big T

Post by Big T » November 24th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet, Family and Friends!

Post by Cole » November 25th, 2017, 5:37 am

Good Morning, Looks good, going over the Mini plans for my build. Any idea on how many pounds of wire you'll need for your build?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » November 25th, 2017, 5:17 pm

:yth: x 2

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 25th, 2017, 6:46 pm

I'm on my 2nd roll of wire, I would guess about 4 pounds would be plenty for the double pan

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 26th, 2017, 8:30 pm

I buy 40# rolls so I have no idea

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 27th, 2017, 2:42 am

I was doing some welding on the door and I think I went a little to fast and may need to start over on it. The sheet metal is warped, or has visible waves in it. Is there anything I can do to minigate it or should I just start over. Both side are not as flat as I would like. I was welding the seems and well I did not stitch to good, I guess lol

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: RE: Re: 1st time builder, 1st time welder 1st well, it's my first build post, I think, lol

Post by mp4 » November 29th, 2017, 5:30 am

Heatermeter builder wrote:I was doing some welding on the door and I think I went a little to fast and may need to start over on it. The sheet metal is warped, or has visible waves in it. Is there anything I can do to minigate it or should I just start over. Both side are not as flat as I would like. I was welding the seems and well I did not stitch to good, I guess lol
I had the same issue...so I'm going to paint it camouflage to hide all the warpage.

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Cole » November 29th, 2017, 6:13 am

When I was talking to Frank he suggested screwing the exterior skin on to prevent warp, not sure if anyone has done this.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 29th, 2017, 6:36 am

Cole wrote:When I was talking to Frank he suggested screwing the exterior skin on to prevent warp, not sure if anyone has done this.
I think I'm going to go with some 11 gauge on the door. I already received a quote for some 50x33 pieces and it's not to bad. It will only add about a 100 pounds or so to the door, lol.

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Cole » November 30th, 2017, 5:41 am

I noticed on the prints that there is some expanded metal between the firebox and cook chamber, is this replaceable after assembly if needed?

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » November 30th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Cole wrote:I noticed on the prints that there is some expanded metal between the firebox and cook chamber, is this replaceable after assembly if needed?
I don't think so, you would have to take the FB apart to get to it. But it's pretty thick, and should last a fairly long time

Big T

Post by Big T » November 30th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I can't remember who it was but one of the guys drilled and tapped some holes in the firebox and bolted the expanded metal in place so that he could replace it. I haven't built a GF but a lot of guys are replacing the expanded metal with a heavy steel plate with holes drilled in it or solid square or round stock.