Metric Conversions for Gravity Feed Smoker

Also called Stump's Clone.
Alman
beginner
beginner

Metric Conversions for Gravity Feed Smoker

Post by Alman » July 22nd, 2017, 8:08 am

Help with Gravity feed smoker from Australia, Europe or Canada,

Anyone has Metric conversions for "Gravity Feed Double Pan Standard Door 28x25 CookingRacks" which I got from Smokerplans.net

It will really be helpful because I bought the plans and ordered the parts but the cutting and assembly will be really tough if not in Metric.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Metric Conversions for Gravity Feed Smoker

Post by Frank_Cox » July 22nd, 2017, 4:33 pm

:beer: I know some of the down under fellers will be able to help with this. We have it on the books to do the conversion but unfortunately the Mack Plans must come first..... Right ajfoxy?!!!
surely you could PM squiggle or ajfoxy and get some help maybe?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 22nd, 2017, 6:17 pm

Hahaha quite true Frank.

Alman, I did not do a complete new layout. I just converted as I went along. I did do up my own dxf files for cutting though and just multiplied the inches by 24.5. It does get a tad tricky when you dealing with 8/32 or whatever. But Google is your handy helper.
I also cheated a bit on the build as in Australia the sheets are 1200 wide so I made the body 1200 high.
So my question would be: Are you going to cut these out yourself with a hand held plasma or oxy torch or cutting disk? If so you are not going to get finite accuracy anyway so a close enough is good enough approach is OK.
If you are going to hand these over to a company with CNC Laser / water jet / industrial plasma then just give them the inch measurements they can cut in inches.
And always remember these plans are for a smoker not a NASA space probe. A lot of leeway in the actual dimensions.I dare say if you had to get all the double pan smokers in a row very few of them would match the plans exactly.
One very important thing though. Get the thing on wheels as soon as you can. These things are HEAVY.
If you need the dxf files to get the unit cut on a cnc plasma pm me. Note that my dimensions might vary a bit from the plans. I went for whole numbers as opposed to .2 etc.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » July 23rd, 2017, 4:33 am

:yth: & as I mentioned in the other thread, build the FB first & build the smoker around it(measure, measure, measure) double check everything before you start cutting. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » July 25th, 2017, 7:23 pm

You can purchase the .dxf cut files for the DP GF from http://www.smokerplans.net/ . Or if you have purchased the plans already pm Frank_Cox and he will sort out how you can purchase just the .dxf cut files. And don't get hung up on it being in inches. Your cnc plasma/laser cut place should be able to handle that without any issue. Just don't forget to tell them it is in inches otherwise you'll get really tiny parts... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford