material costs for...

Also called Stump's Clone.
fixithud
beginner
beginner

material costs for...

Post by fixithud » January 17th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Gravity Feed Double Pan Smoker Plans Standard Doors 28x25 Racks

I was hoping I might be able to get an idea of what materials cost for this particular unit.

Thought I could avoid buying the plans only to find out the material cost is prohibitive for me to continue with the build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hud

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: material costs for...

Post by Heatermeter builder » January 18th, 2018, 5:54 am

My material cost were about $1600 all laser cut. That's just the metal. You would still need to get insulation, casters, latches, lots of flap disk and other odds and ends.

A comparible, already made GF, would cost about $6500.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » January 18th, 2018, 6:00 am

:yth:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

fixithud
beginner
beginner

Post by fixithud » January 18th, 2018, 12:55 pm

10-4 appreciate the info.

Hud

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » January 18th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Cost of a build is really dependent upon many factors in my opinion, I cut all my own materials and didn't utilize an outside laser cutting service . I also was able to treasure hunt a good amount of my materials, in fact the only steel I had to purchase was my sheeting, angle iron and my square tubing. I'm certainly not knocking paying for laser cutting services but that is an added expense. I think if a person is patient and spends some time treasure hunting they can get into one of these with a minimal investment. I'm not sure what your area has to offer but I do know that in my neck of the woods there are scrap yards and salvage yards that can be gold mines for frugal (cheap) people such as myself. If the patience part isn't your strong point you can always build a UDS to get you by while you treasure hunt.
Attachments
IMG_2939.JPG
My mini build complete for under $800.00

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 18th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Weldun wrote:Cost of a build is really dependent upon many factors in my opinion, I cut all my own materials and didn't utilize an outside laser cutting service . I also was able to treasure hunt a good amount of my materials, in fact the only steel I had to purchase was my sheeting, angle iron and my square tubing. I'm certainly not knocking paying for laser cutting services but that is an added expense. I think if a person is patient and spends some time treasure hunting they can get into one of these with a minimal investment. I'm not sure what your area has to offer but I do know that in my neck of the woods there are scrap yards and salvage yards that can be gold mines for frugal (cheap) people such as myself. If the patience part isn't your strong point you can always build a UDS to get you by while you treasure hunt.
man oh man, that thing looks great! think it looks better everytime I see it lol!
Heatermeter builder wrote:My material cost were about $1600 all laser cut. That's just the metal. You would still need to get insulation, casters, latches, lots of flap disk and other odds and ends.

A comparible, already made GF, would cost about $6500.
yep, that's right in line. sure makes the build easier! We have been thinking about making a kit for all the chute parts including the transfer tube. anyone think that is a worth wile idea? we would possibly be considerably cheaper than having your local guy do it. we would palletize it and ship it out or it could be picked up at HQ.

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » January 18th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Frank that's an incredible idea, with the small amount of material required for the chute/ firebox/ashbox assembly it's hard to reasonably acquire this material unless you're able to purchase drops from a steel supplier and if you try to utilize hot rolled flat to cut these pieces from you end up with a considerable amount of extra material. I think this kit could make a gravity feed build much easier for folks to take on.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » January 18th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Weldun wrote:Frank that's an incredible idea, with the small amount of material required for the chute/ firebox/ashbox assembly it's hard to reasonably acquire this material unless you're able to purchase drops from a steel supplier and if you try to utilize hot rolled flat to cut these pieces from you end up with a considerable amount of extra material. I think this kit could make a gravity feed build much easier for folks to take on.
awesome deal! I will get working on it . hope to have something figured out perty quick :beer: :beer:

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member

Post by bbroper » January 18th, 2018, 9:44 pm

I agree that is a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 18th, 2018, 10:57 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » January 18th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Absolutely a great idea. Definitely make building a GF a whole tad easier for most punters.

Now, on to the kit for "The Mack"... put on a pallet, wrapped and shipped to Australia. One kidney or both? =))

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

wbegg
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by wbegg » January 19th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Make it so, #1!

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » January 19th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Brilliant idea Frank! :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » January 19th, 2018, 8:38 pm

ajfoxy wrote:Now, on to the kit for "The Mack"... put on a pallet, wrapped and shipped to Australia. One kidney or both? =))
working in it now bro! seriously!!!
wbegg wrote:Make it so, #1!
haha, just watched startrek a minute ago!!!

fixithud
beginner
beginner

Post by fixithud » January 19th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Weldun wrote:Cost of a build is really dependent upon many factors in my opinion, I cut all my own materials and didn't utilize an outside laser cutting service . I also was able to treasure hunt a good amount of my materials, in fact the only steel I had to purchase was my sheeting, angle iron and my square tubing. I'm certainly not knocking paying for laser cutting services but that is an added expense. I think if a person is patient and spends some time treasure hunting they can get into one of these with a minimal investment. I'm not sure what your area has to offer but I do know that in my neck of the woods there are scrap yards and salvage yards that can be gold mines for frugal (cheap) people such as myself. If the patience part isn't your strong point you can always build a UDS to get you by while you treasure hunt.
That thing looks great!! I have two UDS now and a homebuilt draft control... Want a unit that makes better use of rack space but dont think I want a typical offset grill.

Hud

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 19th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Hud, you may feel like you jumped out of the frying pan into the fire if you went with an Offset. All the fire tending required. The GF is much more the direction you want.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet, Family and Friends!

Post by Cole » January 20th, 2018, 9:30 am

I paid around $250 for my Mini plus 6" firebox material including plates for the legs and backing plates for the main door slam latch, uncut. I am just about done cutting the firebox.