Double Pan GF build

Also called Stump's Clone.
hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Double Pan GF build

Post by hannibalsmith63 » March 25th, 2018, 12:48 pm

About to begin fab on frame and racks.. Here we go!

ImageImage

Current smokers: Pitboss K24, Char griller offset, DP Gravity Fed Stumps clone, and a Cheap Bradley in the garage somewhere! Oh, and a La Caja China Pig Roaster....

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Double Pan GF build

Post by hannibalsmith63 » March 25th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Price for angle and extruded metal for racks and square tube for frame.. $283

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current smokers: Pitboss K24, Char griller offset, DP Gravity Fed Stumps clone, and a Cheap Bradley in the garage somewhere! Oh, and a La Caja China Pig Roaster....

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 25th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Those trips to the steel yard add up in a hurry but it's worth it in the end.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by hannibalsmith63 » March 25th, 2018, 8:32 pm

It’s not bad. I work for Fastenal so o will either have a good relationship with the metal house or be able to use my employee discount for items. I’m excited to get this project done!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 25th, 2018, 9:01 pm

I realize diferent parts of the country have significantly different prices and I may not be reading the cut-sheet correctly. You might, however, check around to see if those are the best prices in your area. I can do 20% better than your discount prices just walking in the door here.

However, looks like you got the material for a great start and can’t wait to see what you turn it in to.

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by hannibalsmith63 » March 25th, 2018, 9:03 pm

It may be a regional California thing. A customer of mine that buys a ton of steel let me buy this with their discount. I’ll keep posting the progress....

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by hannibalsmith63 » March 25th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Also, I have read that people have been quoted out upwards of $1600+ for the rest of the metal already cnc cut. I have mine on order cut for $1000. I may have got hosed on the first part but hopefully made up in the rest.

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by hannibalsmith63 » April 2nd, 2018, 7:46 pm

My Fabricator Johnnie was busy... Frame is cut, insulated, and tacked together.... It’s coming along boys!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 2nd, 2018, 7:53 pm

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » April 2nd, 2018, 8:15 pm

I hate to sound like a party pooper, but the frame can’t be all welded together before the GF burner is in place. Unless I am not looking at this correctly you may want to check the assembly instructions. You’re doing great work and I can see how exciting it is to watch it come together.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by hannibalsmith63 » April 2nd, 2018, 8:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback. All are tacked in except for the three pieces that are stated not to be installed yet. Hopefully we are good!

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » April 2nd, 2018, 8:58 pm

Dirtytires wrote:I realize diferent parts of the country have significantly different prices and I may not be reading the cut-sheet correctly. You might, however, check around to see if those are the best prices in your area. I can do 20% better than your discount prices just walking in the door here.

However, looks like you got the material for a great start and can’t wait to see what you turn it in to.
DT where is here? Shoot me a pm I need steel for my build

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » April 2nd, 2018, 9:46 pm

Just a heads up... probably don't weld the top tube by the chute yet. It makes getting the chute/firebox/diffuser assembly a whole lot easier without it. Once the assembly is in place then you can weld the top tube in. Been there, done that... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 3rd, 2018, 1:54 am

I’m in Phoenix....I’ve got a couple of places on my go-to list. If you are in the area, let me know.

Cole
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet, Family and Friends!

Post by Cole » April 3rd, 2018, 8:05 am

Looks nice, clean joints and welds! That thing is big, I added 6" to my Mini and its heavy, the DP is large, be careful and the weight builds and plan for help!

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » April 3rd, 2018, 2:55 pm

ajfoxy wrote:Just a heads up... probably don't weld the top tube by the chute yet. It makes getting the chute/firebox/diffuser assembly a whole lot easier without it. Once the assembly is in place then you can weld the top tube in. Been there, done that... :D
I 2nd this advice. I had to cut out a piece of the frame to get the charcoal chute in. It was fairly easy to weld it back together after but, much easier to leave it out until the chute is in place.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » April 3rd, 2018, 2:59 pm

Cole wrote:Looks nice, clean joints and welds! That thing is big, I added 6" to my Mini and its heavy, the DP is large, be careful and the weight builds and plan for help!

Na no help needed lol. I actually was able to install the charcoal firebox assembly without any help at all and no use of any lifting devices. Do I recommend doing what I did, hell no, lol.

Yes, it's very heavy and awkward to move around, having help makes it so much more enjoyable to put together.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Smokeasy

Post by Smokeasy » April 15th, 2018, 11:25 am

I agree with foxy, leave out the top cross bar on the firebox side it make installing it a lot easier, looks great :beer:

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by hannibalsmith63 » April 27th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Racks are done and the CNC cut material arrived yesterday... it’s on.Image

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Double Pan GF build

Post by Elmacho » April 28th, 2018, 7:47 am

Looks fantastic!! You are going to love it! I’m building the Mini but see a double pan in my future.

[emoji1360]

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » April 30th, 2018, 8:21 am

:beer:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Texasbowhunter
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Texasbowhunter » May 1st, 2018, 11:36 am

hannibalsmith63 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. All are tacked in except for the three pieces that are stated not to be installed yet. Hopefully we are good!

Looking real nice at this stage...
One question I have strickly for learning on my part...
You have said it is tacked together...
Will you come back and weld all cuts together after its all squared up before you skin it? Or will the skinng hold all together...

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by hannibalsmith63 » May 8th, 2018, 2:18 pm

ImageImageImage

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » May 8th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Just a thought and not trying to teach you how to weld. On the thicker stuff either bevel the edges or put them end to end so there is a grove to weld into. You can in fact even put a very small gap in the steel to allow for penetration. This makes for a stronger weld. However, you might have gone too far down the road already. Once again, I'm not trying to teach you how to weld, just an observation. So please take this advice in the spirit it was intended... to help constructively.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

hannibalsmith63
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by hannibalsmith63 » May 20th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Update time... Plugging along. Here are some pictures... also got a quote on powder coating... $280. Sounds well worth it to me.ImageImageImageImageImage