Temperature range?

Also called Stump's Clone.
brockmanes1
beginner
beginner

Temperature range?

Post by brockmanes1 » April 10th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Was wondering if anyone knows what temperature range the mini has min/max, one that is built to spec from the plans?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Temperature range?

Post by ajfoxy » April 10th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Someone with a local (°F) build will probably be along shortly to answer your question.
I've only built a Double Pan and I work in Celcius so of no use to you at all. I'm guessing it will also be slightly influenced by outside temps and the type of charcoal you use.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

brockmanes1
beginner
beginner

Post by brockmanes1 » April 10th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Yeah I’m not expecting exact temps just maybe ranges people have seen. Just wondering because of the modifications I’m planning. Not going to change firebox size if it can reach 400deg or higher easily.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » April 10th, 2018, 10:48 pm

I would not go over 400°. I noticed some odd sounds when I was in the 300 400 range. Also depending on how much you have in the smoker, you will consume large amount of charcoal.

I recently had close to 120 pounds of chicken quarters(3 boxes of RD chicken) in the smoker. I added one rack every 10 minutes or so and by the time I had the last rack in, it took forever to get it back up to 300+. Some of that was my fault, and a learning experience.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » April 10th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Yes, +400 on a regular basis might be pushing a GF.
You could probably put a blower on the inlet... BBQGuru / Heatermeter / etc. That would sort of turbo-charge the air intake and make it burn faster. But these things were not designed for grilling. Low and slow is the way...

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 10th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Agreed...400 degrees is a different piece of equipment.

brockmanes1
beginner
beginner

Post by brockmanes1 » April 11th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Sorry I should have explained better. I have never smoked food above 300 degrees in a smoker.I know my status says rookie but I do have experience in fabrication and smoking lol. I was asking because of the modifications I plan on doing and how it would effect temperature range like min/max. I talked to frank and I have a better understanding. Adding more cc volume doesn’t affect max range so much as heat recovery after the door is opened.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » April 12th, 2018, 8:09 pm

I have 2 double pan GF and with a guru I can run anywhere between 90deg F and 350deg F. 90 deg F only works when it's cold outside.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » April 18th, 2018, 12:25 pm

I am glad you asked this question. I was wondering the same thing.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”