Last few details to finish a Mini Build

Also called Stump's Clone.
aakelley
beginner
beginner

Last few details to finish a Mini Build

Post by aakelley » October 7th, 2018, 8:42 am

Have looked through the forum and couldn’t find answers to these two questions to finish up the “extended” (adding some height to allow for a 4th rack) mini build that I have in progress:

1 - where are the rivnuts used and are there any alternatives? Having trouble finding someone I can borrow the tool from, so before I spend $50 for a tool I will only likely use once, I am wondering what they are for and if there is any other way to get the job done?

2 - I am building a “pocket” into the firebox wall to place a Heatermeter. Has anyone setup a conduit for temp probe wires directly from a shelf / pocket into the smoke chamber? If so, what did you use to seal up the whole around the wires?

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Re: Last few details to finish a Mini Build

Post by Chromeski » October 7th, 2018, 5:02 pm

The rivnuts are a threaded insert that allows you to add threads for the latch. An alternative would be adding a thicker piece of steel and threading it. This would be considerably more work, but should work.
I know guys have built probe holes into cooking chamber I'm not sure you Actually need to seal it since it's a small opening, but I've seen plugs on bbq bbqsupply website that guys use for ugly drums and such.