Hybrid Offset And Reverse Flow

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
EverydayDiesel
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Hybrid Offset And Reverse Flow

Post by EverydayDiesel » April 17th, 2021, 11:43 pm

Hello,

I am curious if anyone has tried a hybrid design that combines an offset with a texas style offset with a reverse flow.

I really like this texas style smoker
https://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?m ... ba956cefdc

but on this design hybrid design
https://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?m ... ucts_id=44

I wrote the company and asked how much they would charge to modify the plans and got this response
Howdy!
Unfortunately we are not able to modify the plans at this time.
All of our plans can be made "texas style" by relocating the smoke stack and eliminating the baffle plate.
none of the engineering will change.
You will need to change some of the measurements to allow for your changes to steel thickness though.
Unfortunately I dont really understand what he is saying. (This is why I wanted to buy the plans).

My understanding in an offset is that you want the smoke/heat to go straight up and across.
But in a reverse flow you want it to be deflected down and then back up in the other direction to exit in the firebox side exhaust.

You guys will know a lot more about about smokers then I ever will so with this being my first slow cooker (to build and to run) I need all the help I can get. I am a decent welder and have access to a cnc table

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Hybrid Offset And Reverse Flow

Post by Big T » April 18th, 2021, 12:08 am

You can check out smokerbuildermfg.com or call the phone number at smokerplans.net and they actually build a hybrid RF/tuning plate standard offset pit. I'm not sure if they sale the plans for them but I'm positive that they build them. They have videos on facebook, instagram and tik tok, if you're on any of those sites you can check them out. They have a page for smokerbuilder.com and I believe smokerbuilder.mfg on those sites.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

EverydayDiesel
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by EverydayDiesel » April 18th, 2021, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. On your recommendation I went out and found this video https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEupef7HZR ... gn=loading

I dont see much information about the baffle. I have heard that you need to direct the heat up in an offset and defelect it down in a reverse flow

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 19th, 2021, 6:21 pm

He uses tuning plates on this one so the throat doesn't have a baffle, it's just an opening. I'm sure that you could install a solid plate for RF that can be removed and build a baffle that directs the heat straight up if you wanted to go that route.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.