Vertical smoker

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
houstad

Vertical smoker

Post by houstad » August 28th, 2013, 2:33 pm

I have been using a LP 2 door smoker from Lowes and I have used it up and got sick of getting new bottles. I had an idea. Build my own. I am making a steel frame vertical smoker a tad bit bigger than the one I have. Now here is the kicker. I know it is not popular but I took the guts out of an old NG grill and I am using it as a heat source. all together I am making a backyard brick cooking monster. My NG grill and prep area and smoker. The smoker is steel framed 2 door vertical housed in sheet metal and then insulated. then over the insulation is duraboard/hardie board to help hold the bricks in place. the bricks for the most part are just for show.

My real question is about the insulation. do I need to insulated around outside of the heat source or just the "oven area"

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Vertical smoker

Post by Gizmo » August 28th, 2013, 6:18 pm

With LP or NG you don't have to insulate. Only thing you're doing is playing with the gas bill at the end of the month. It'll cook fine either way. Generating the correct amount of smoke may be easier in a well sealed system but that brings up another important point; Do you have an automatic safety shutoff on your NG components in case the burner were to go out when you aren't looking?

It's just so you don't end up with the worlds heaviest brick bomb sitting in your backyard. That would suck the fun out of ANY dinner party….. :rulz:

And WELCOME!

…. I'm getting old so sorry if I welcomed you before but I figure a guy just can't feel too welcome….. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » August 28th, 2013, 9:54 pm

:welcome: :yth:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » August 29th, 2013, 7:11 am

:welcome:

There is an article on this site that speaks to what Rick is talking about. It is fun building cookers, as long as no one gets hurt.
http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... f=31&t=689

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........