Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid

Post by Big T » April 4th, 2015, 7:57 pm

I put my gaskets on before I mount the hinges but you'll definitely want to figure in a little crush so you end up with a tight seal.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 7th, 2015, 7:32 am

forty_creek wrote:I would leave atleast an 1/8... I have been playing around in my head with the same thing. It's gonna flatten in time plus the pressure/weight of the door.

jm2cw!
Big T wrote:I put my gaskets on before I mount the hinges but you'll definitely want to figure in a little crush so you end up with a tight seal.
Thanks guys! I decided, since I need to buy two rolls of gasket, I will buy one and use the excess to make small gasket pieces to get the gap and hinges right; I need 36' and I need to buy two rolls of 25' to do that, so I'll have plenty extra.

-Mike in Alabama
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 7th, 2015, 7:50 am

Got some time to work on the smoker after work yesterday. I got the tuning plates cut and figured out. First thing was to cut one tuning plate from the 3/16"x4" flatbar. Then I was able to lay out the tuning plate rail on the table, and get the proper spacing for the holes set up. My idea is to have the tuning plate resting on top of the rail, and have a bolt through the plate attached to a nut and a retainer on the bottom side; this will hold the plate in place when I get it tuned by simply tightening the bolt.

Here's the tuning plate laid out, and the pieces I'll use to build the retaining mechanism. I cut a 1/4" piece from the 4" fb, and I'll cut that in half and weld one end to the 1/4" nut. You can barely see my lines on the fb. No, it's not stainless.....I guess the only 3/16"x4" fb they had was some cr stuff. It has no mill scale on it, and appears to have been rolled and sheared, but it is definitely carbon steel. Looks cool though!

Here is the retainer after welding and prettying up.

Here is how it will work: the clip will tighten against the angle rail and secure the tuning plate in place. There are two of these for each plate, one for each end of the plate.

On the bottom side, I had to add a stopper so the retainer won't turn off of the angle rail.

Here is the tuning plate in place. When the horizontal chamber is tuned, I'll simply tighten the bolt.

Here is the bottom side. Works like a charm!

I managed to get all the retainers cut and welded; this took me a while to do. It was very tedious and painful due to using flux core. It is times like this I wish I had a TIG machine. I coulda switched to MIG but I don't have any gas. In hindsight, I could have cut the retainers wider and drilled and tapped the retainer clip itself, but I figured this would save me some time. It did, but it was still a pain in the butt.

I got the tuning plates cut and straightened, and plan on drilling them today after work.

Thanks for looking!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by forty_creek » April 7th, 2015, 3:27 pm

I'm using 3/8's for my TPs w/ a lip to cover any gap between each TP. I feel like the weight at 7" wide by 32" long will hold them down. If it wasn't for having the 3/8's 7" flat bar handy. I wuda went 1/4. Suckers are heavy. I welded a handle on each one. That's made handling them better...
The tedious part of the builds are fun but sure slow things down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » April 7th, 2015, 7:19 pm

That is getting it tied down

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 7th, 2015, 7:24 pm

forty_creek wrote:I'm using 3/8's for my TPs w/ a lip to cover any gap between each TP. I feel like the weight at 7" wide by 32" long will hold them down.
32" long?!? Holy crap! How big is your smoker?!?!? I want mine to be secured because I plan on trailering it should the need for a cooker somewhere else arise, and I don't want to have to reset them every time. I don't want to weld them down because I want to be able to take them out for cleaning or for using it as a RF. I plan on adding some kind of handle to them, just not sure what I want yet.
forty_creek wrote:The tedious part of the builds are fun but sure slow things down.
So true.......but when they're done it makes it all worthwhile.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 7th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:That is getting it tied down
Thanks man!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 7th, 2015, 11:24 pm

500gallon RF
36" wide

It's been a lot to but off for my first build. But I'm getting there.

I made my handles out of 9/16 stainless that was laying around. They actually handle ok. I will post a pic tomorrow.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 8th, 2015, 11:49 am

Here's how I decided to build my TP's
3/8's 7" wide flat bar. Used 1/4" 2" wide flat bar for overlap
IMG_1943.JPG
IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG
I decided to install the first 14"s as a solid piece

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 8th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Looks good! I just found your build, gonna have to take a look at that puppy!

If I were going for the full hybrid like I had originally planned, I would have added the overlap like you did, but the more I think about it I don't know if I'll go ahead with the rf option, in fact, I am leaning towards even deleting the exhaust for it.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 8th, 2015, 9:13 pm

WOW! I just took the time to look over your build here. Coooooollll!!! Your an "insulate nut" like me! but I am not doing my CC.

Ready to see some Q pics off of this unique design!

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 9th, 2015, 6:49 am

forty_creek wrote:WOW! I just took the time to look over your build here. Coooooollll!!! Your an "insulate nut" like me! but I am not doing my CC.
Thanks man! Yeah, I figured if I was gonna insulate it I was gonna go all the way, and my thinking is that the CC is the most important thing to insulate. But, I couldn't begin to fathom what it would take to insulate the cc on your monstrosity!! that thing is HUGE! I have a 150 gallon propane tank that I am going to be converting into a trailer smoker when I get this one done, and that one is going to be a bear to insulate; couldn't imagine a 500g!
forty_creek wrote:Ready to see some Q pics off of this unique design!
You and me both brother!! was discussing the debut with the wifey just yesterday, really want it done for Mother's day so I can cook for her and my mom, but more realistically Father's day may be the finish date and first big cook may be the 4th of July. I feel like I'll have it done probably end of next month, God willing and the job situation remains as it is.

thanks for looking!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 10th, 2015, 7:28 am

Think I might have done a bit of cutting? Had to replace my cutting wheel; it got so small, the arbor was hitting the fence; I couldn't cut all the way through the tuning plates, had to work the piece back and forth to cut off the remaining 1/4". It's seen its share of metal!

I also ran through a full 10lb spool of wire, had to load a new spool yesterday. That means that because the deposition rate of this wire is 85%, I've added 8 1/2 lbs of weight in weld.............just in weld! And I just loaded another spool..........

About the only thing I did yesterday was manage to get it turned around in the shop to make it easier to work on inside the shop, and I was able to add the intake rails and get the intake slides made and mounted. It's supposed to rain all this weekend, but I am hoping I can get the fb to cc gate figured out and at least started, and I would really like to get the fb sliding grate built. Did a few test pieces this week and I feel like I've got that figured out.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 10th, 2015, 8:19 am

Just keep grinding cutting and burning when you can!

My problem is my build is at work and actual work is interfering with my production on the cooker. But I gotta work!!! At least for another 25+ years!!!

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 10th, 2015, 9:11 am

Lol, work always gets in the way!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 12th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Got a bit of time to work on the smoker. I finished drilling the tuning plates; all I need to do now is weld the stops on the bottom side and these are done.

I also got to work on the doors. They are square tube framed, 45'ed on the corners so no tube openings to fill. They are insulated and then covered up with a plate with holes drilled in it, then I weld up the holes. Well, that's the way it was SUPPOSED to happen...........

Here's the door frame, with one skin attached. The two angles are for bracing.

Here's the skin, drilled and ready to attach to the skin AFTER insulation. Like I said........that's they way it was supposed to happen....

Well, I got a little ahead of myself and welded part of the skin before I insulated. Major, Major DUH. So......had to cut it back off. I felt like an imbecile..........good thing is, I didn't weld it solid and I didn't weld any of the center braces to it. Much to my chagrin I cut it off where I could. At least I didn't weld the thermometer coupling to it.

And here's the insulation. woulda been nice if I woulda done it first, but at least it's done.

It actually wasn't too bad. Lined it up and it fit pretty well. Only had to dog and wedge one corner, once I pulled it up the 1/16" it needed to be flush, I tacked it off and welded it out.

I was able to get the second door framed, braced and one skin on; wasn't able to get it finished, but all I have to do is drill the holes for the thermometer coupling, insulate it and weld the skin on. Hopefully in that order this time, lol.

Once I got that done yesterday it was into the dark. It has been raining all day today and it looks like it's going to be like this all week so I may not get much done this week.

thanks for looking!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 12th, 2015, 9:04 pm

It sounds like you're starting to make a habit of leaving out the insulation :BDHorse:
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » April 12th, 2015, 9:18 pm

I'm trying to get an image of scale but it's not happening. Tried comparing the hammer, the grinders, the vise grips and the gloves. So to get a better handle on it, what size square tubing are the doors made with?

I'm also lost with the mounting of the thermometer coupling...how are you doing that?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid

Post by Bkndsdl » April 13th, 2015, 6:53 am

Big T wrote:It sounds like you're starting to make a habit of leaving out the insulation :BDHorse:
:LG:
I know!!! that's the whole point of doing it this way!! I think it's because I have to clamp it so many times to get it lined up to make sure everything fits right, and I just don't see the gaping holes where the insulation goes because it's covered up.....It takes so long to get the outer skins prepared that I guess I'm so giddy I got it to fit right finally. Something to work on, at least I've caught myself before I completely closed them up.
Puff wrote:I'm trying to get an image of scale but it's not happening. Tried comparing the hammer, the grinders, the vise grips and the gloves. So to get a better handle on it, what size square tubing are the doors made with?

I'm also lost with the mounting of the thermometer coupling...how are you doing that?
the sq tubing is 1". The door is 22-1/2" wide by 15-1/2" high.

As far as the coupling, I drilled the hole in the already welded skin, clamp on the drilled skin, and drill the therm coupling hole in it using the first hole in the welded skin as an alignment. Then, unclamp the drilled skin, set it aside and weld the coupling to the welded skin on the inside of the door. Then I put the drilled skin on, align, and weld the coupling to the outside (drilled) skin. I put a nipple of pipe in the threads of the coupling so I don't screw them up.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Coupling issues

Post by Bkndsdl » April 14th, 2015, 10:19 am

Well, I got a problem......the 1/2" themometer coupling I got from Lowe's is not gonna work. It says black on it, but it is malleable iron, or some cheap stuff that you can't weld to (Says China on bag, go figure). The weld cracked. I ground it out, preheated it and welded it again, but same thing. I now need to find a carbon 1/2" coupling, but even worse I have to figure out how to go about removing the unusable coupling from the door.......

Oh well. Just a small hiccup. Did manage to get some figuring done on the firebox to cc gate, and I have a plan for moving forward on it.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 17th, 2015, 7:55 am

Well I got the coupling out of the door, without too much cursing. I also found some weldable couplings. Bad thing is, the couplings I found are a lot smaller in diameter. So, I think I will make a round doubler plate to go over the hole. The holes in the second door will need to be done too for congruency. So, hopefully this weekend will be a dry one and I can get both the doors finished.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » April 17th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Wow. This is an awesome thread. Love the build

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » April 20th, 2015, 10:23 am

Pit_Doctor wrote:Wow. This is an awesome thread. Love the build
thanks doc!

Well I didn't do anything on the smoker this weekend, I needed some more cutting discs and with the current job situation turning south I just didn't feel like spending any money nor time on the smoker. Plus, it was clear Saturday most of the day but man was it wet. the ground was just soaked. I didn't do anything Sunday either.

Trying not to get discouraged. I have some prospects in the works but nothing solid as of yet. Trying hard to focus on the positives, my boys are healthy, wife still loves me and God still has me. On top of the job situation my dad is in the ICU again. when it rains, it pours......Just gotta keep praying and trusting in God, he has a plan for me. Wife wants me to smoke a ham this weekend, maybe that'll lift my spirits.......lol.......

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » April 20th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Just remember he never puts anything on our plate that we cannot handle. I'll keep you and your family in thoughts and prayers.

From infinity and beyond.

Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » April 20th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Trying not to get discouraged. I have some prospects in the works but nothing solid as of yet. Trying hard to focus on the positives, my boys are healthy, wife still loves me and God still has me. On top of the job situation my dad is in the ICU again. when it rains, it pours......Just gotta keep praying and trusting in God, he has a plan for me. Wife wants me to smoke a ham this weekend, maybe that'll lift my spirits.......lol.......[/quote]

Thoughts and prayers to you brother, keep your head up, God is good and has a plan for you!