Odd Llittle Pit

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Brisket Envy
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Odd Llittle Pit

Post by Brisket Envy » February 5th, 2016, 9:11 pm

I was asked about this little pit in another thread, and rather than hijack that one, I thought I'd just post a new one.

The size of this pit was inspired by an old aluminum grill I remember as a kid.
It is 28" wide, 18" deep front to back, and 16" high. The grate height is 7" from the bottom, leaving 9" above the grate, enough to accommodate a turkey, I believe.
I have done several very successful briskets, butts and yardbirds in it. The temp is slightly higher at the left end, but I usually just put the point on that side, and rotate, if indicated.
Unless cold and drizzling, I get a 12 hour cook out of 2/3 of a small bag of lump.

The charcoal is loaded on a grate in the area on the left, and the brisket, obviously on the rack on the right. There is also a charcoal grate under the meat rack, in case you are doing burgers, steaks, etc.

A guy I built one for did two briskets on the little thing at one time, putting one on the lower grate, and one on the normal meat grate. He said he rotated the briskets a couple of times during the cook. He told me he filled it up with lump once, and added 1/3 as much 6 ours later, and that was all he needed for the entire cook.
I prefer to put a water pan below the meat, to moderate the heat, and to catch the cooked-off grease. Otherwise it surely needs a good sized drain.

Note the baffle between the charcoal and meat rack, that helps mitigate the heat by directing it above the meat. The heat/smoke exit via the stack below the grate on the oopposite side.
I am using two baffles on the one I am building now, with an inch of space between them, to hopefully tame some of the radiated heat on the left.
Last edited by Brisket Envy on February 5th, 2016, 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Odd Llittle Pit

Post by Rodcrafter » February 5th, 2016, 9:39 pm

That's the stuff I was thinking was built into that little rascal. Nice work! And good looking Q.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 5th, 2016, 9:46 pm

That's a neat little cooker, my grandpa has one that's similar but the stack comes out higher. :needfood:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Brisket Envy

Post by Brisket Envy » February 5th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Thanks.
I ruined a good number of briskets before they started coming out edible.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » February 6th, 2016, 3:30 am

:LG:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”