Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Re: Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid

Post by Bkndsdl » October 26th, 2015, 7:05 am

whoa!! I made Senior Smoker Builder!! :welder:

-Mike in Alabama
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 26th, 2015, 9:48 pm

Movin on up :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 27th, 2015, 11:26 am

That's funny $1,000,000 mark. I feel the same way when I get done building something and someone says hey will you make me one of those? I respond in saying you can't afford one. I'm sure it sounds a little rough.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » October 27th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:That's funny $1,000,000 mark. I feel the same way when I get done building something and someone says hey will you make me one of those? I respond in saying you can't afford one. I'm sure it sounds a little rough.
Yeah, but oh so true. I build things because I want it MY way. I could buy anything just like everyone else, but I want it to be mine. Most times, the guy asking 'hey, will you build me one?' is the guy that doesn't want to spend the $$ so he thinks if YOU build it it'll be cheaper for him..........NOT!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » October 28th, 2015, 9:07 am

PICKED UP THE LAST STEEL ORDER YESTERDAY!!!! :bigfoot:

TIME TO GET :welder: !!!

WIFE IS LIKE :needfood: !!!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 28th, 2015, 11:00 am

Sweet!!!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » October 31st, 2015, 8:41 am

Got a good bit done on the smoker yesterday.

First off was to finish the tuning plates; all that was left was to weld on a stop on the bottom sides to keep the hold down arm from turning. Set up a simple jig with some scrap material so the stop would be in the same spot every time.

Then I cut up some scrap material for the stops.

After a little bit, had a stack of these, all done.

Then I welded in the stops for the fold-down shelf; 5/16" rod. This is what will hold the shelf in the upright position.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » October 31st, 2015, 8:52 am

Next was to work on the exhaust stacks. I made them out of 11 ga plate. This was a lot more time consuming, but buying pipe or tube would've been a lot more $$$ consuming. The exhausts are 3"x5" inside, size determined by Feldon's calculator.

The horizontal will have two exhausts - one for standard offset with tuning plates, and one for reverse flow, should I choose to. If I use standard with tuning plates, I will use the exhaust farthest from the vertical cabinet. If I do reverse flow, I will slide all the tuning plates together and use the exhaust closest to the vertical cabinet.

Once I got these built, it allowed me to get the location for the exhausts on the back wall of the horizontal. Here's the layout.......

And the cutout for the first exhaust.

Here's the exhaust in place for measuring purposes. I purposely made the part that fits into the smoker long so I could trim it to fit. I designed these to use the back of the smoker as one side of the exhaust; the part that extends past the top of the smoker will be covered by another plate.

Here is where it exits the smoker.

Here is the view from inside. I will trim off the excess once I get the back of the horizontal in place. I wanted the exhaust to be just at the level of the lowest rack.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 31st, 2015, 11:39 am

I like that you're thinking about how to build it so you can use it differently. Nice work.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » November 2nd, 2015, 2:38 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I like that you're thinking about how to build it so you can use it differently. Nice work.
Thanks man. That's the whole idea with this build, I want to use it for as much as I possibly can; as many things in one cooker vs several different cookers. I can cook whatever I want on this puppy!

Didn't get any more work done because we took the boys to their first Saints game, and what a game it was! I plan on hitting it hard and heavy come this Friday, time's a wastin!! Momma's still :needfood: :needfood: !!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 3rd, 2015, 6:32 pm

Hey at least Momma is on board with the idea. My wife says you will never be done with your trailer rig. That's because I keep adding things to it. I see her point but I believe I finished it 3 or 4 times already. As long as I'm able to use it after I make my additions it's done. At least until I come up with something else to add.

But this is a hobby right?

Making memories.

Big T

Post by Big T » November 3rd, 2015, 7:38 pm

I hope the weather holds out for you. It seems that we're stuck in the pattern of raining on the weekends and nice during the week. It looks like you're getting real close so maybe you can get it finished up soon.

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » November 3rd, 2015, 8:17 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:Hey at least Momma is on board with the idea. My wife says you will never be done with your trailer rig. That's because I keep adding things to it. I see her point but I believe I finished it 3 or 4 times already. As long as I'm able to use it after I make my additions it's done. At least until I come up with something else to add.

But this is a hobby right?
So true!
Big T wrote:I hope the weather holds out for you. It seems that we're stuck in the pattern of raining on the weekends and nice during the week. It looks like you're getting real close so maybe you can get it finished up soon.
Yeah man, I know, and this time change thing sucks big time too. I am working in Monroeville, and I drive there pretty much every day.......I have a 4 hour commute Monday through Thursday. I get paid to drive it, and on top of that I get mileage, but it sucks being 2 hours away from home. I really, really need a full Friday and Saturday for the next few weekends, but not being able to work inside may be the death of me. I think I will be happy if I can get the business part of smoker done before thanksgiving. I am going to not sweat the fold down shelf nor paint for the time being, just concentrate on finishing the the cooking part of it. You know, important stuff like doors.........

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 3rd, 2015, 9:01 pm

Mike, you'd better stop that commute. I've been doing a 64 mile commute for over 27 years. It has grown from an hour and 10 minutes in 1987 to over 2 hours many times nowadays. Heaven forbid you run into an overturned vehicle or so many other accidents I've seen over the years you can add an hour easily. It ruined 5 great pickups I've had and gas, oil and tires.

Additionally, there was a study done very recently about the commute length with an emphasis on mental and physical health. I had read that with uncanny parallels in my actions. Aside from all if the nutty stuff I've developed....it also can make you addicted to crazy things like smoking! :-o

The reality is that while I joke about it....if I didn't, I WOULD be even more of a lunatic than many already believe. I never thought that the best time was when I lived and worked 7 miles away.

BY THE WAY: that is a great smoker...really great!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » November 4th, 2015, 9:17 am

Lol, so I can blame all kinds of stuff on the drive!!! :BS:

It is only supposed to be for a few months. I hope so. My main office is only 25 mins from the house, so I am hoping that I will be done with all the driving come the end of the year.

Thanks on the smoker, I am getting anxious to see this thing working, hopefully the way I designed it to!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 4th, 2015, 9:37 pm

It is so sweet looking that when you have it performing superior feats of smoking, we'll be looking for plans from you!

Yup...that's how it starts, I was supposed to be running south to our garage in Williamstown...a much much easier commute. No one goes south around here, they all go north..... Yup, that's how it starts :hissy:

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » November 7th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Got a good bit done Friday, and actually dodged the rain a good bit today to at least get the vertical's doors framed out.

Here's the backside of the smoker, with all the exhausts cut out. The vertical has two exhaust ports, one high and one low. The low is for reverse flow operation, which is probably what I'll use the most. The high one is an idea I had, like if I wanted to make pizza or something, I will have a cutout in the center of the vertical plate that's between the firebox and the cooking section. I will make it removeable, and when I want to use the vertical in this fashion the top exhaust will be best for this (I think). Another one of those design ideas that will be tested at the end.......

Here's the cutouts on the back. this is also when I was fitting the outside horizontal plate.

Here's the vertical cutouts.

Beginning the insulation.

All three exhausts in place and the vertical back being fit. Big step here, I only have two doors and the vertical top left to insulate! I ended up getting the backs fit and ready for welding on Friday. Full day's work here!

Here's the view from the inside of the vertical. Now I can scribe and cut the exhausts flush with the inside of the smoker so they don't impede on the racks.

On a side note, I almost pulled a Henry Ford..........His first car was built in a small shop. When he finished building it and was about to drive it out the shed, it wouldn't fit through the door! He took an axe to the wall and was able to drive it out. If I put the exhaust on now, it won't fit in the shop.......so, those will be the very last things to be installed and welded out before it goes to its final resting place.

Thanks for looking!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Big T

Post by Big T » November 7th, 2015, 10:20 pm

You've got it going your way now :kewl:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 8th, 2015, 3:39 pm

Heck yeah!

Making memories.

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » November 8th, 2015, 7:05 pm

Big T wrote:You've got it going your way now :kewl:
Rodcrafter wrote:Heck yeah!
Thanks guys! I did my best to get some work done on it yesterday, and ended up getting a good bit done but I took this monster in and out of the shed 3 times dodging the rain........after pushing it up the small ramp that third time did me in. Hopefully this weekend I can spend more time on it and the weather cooperates.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » November 8th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Strong Work!

Drankin, Smokin and Dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 8th, 2015, 7:43 pm

:LG:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » November 9th, 2015, 8:44 am

forty_creek wrote:Strong Work!
Pete Mazz wrote: :LG:
Thanks guys!

Just checked the weather........looks good for the weekend, but as Big T and I know, Mobile weather is cantankerous.....it's been said, if you don't like the weather in Mobile, wait about 10 minutes......it'll change. Let's hope not this weekend, turkey day is running full steam at me!

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 9th, 2015, 9:50 am

I was looking at the wheels on this rig and thought about rolling it up a slight incline... It should be part of a tractor pull or iron man competition

Bkndsdl
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Bkndsdl » November 9th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Puff wrote:I was looking at the wheels on this rig and thought about rolling it up a slight incline... It should be part of a tractor pull or iron man competition
Lol, don't I know! I put all swivel casters on it, but I am seriously thinking of making one end fixed. It is very hard to get it to go straight.....I poured a small slab of concrete in front of the shed because it simply wouldn't work in the dirt. However, when I push it out of the shed, it wants to go to either side of the slab, almost wanting to roll off and tip over. It's quite scary to move by myself. I am thinking two fixed would make it easier to move, but honestly, it has moved 100 times more than it will ever be moved once it's in place......only reason it moves is because I have to take it in and out of the shop to work on it. May just leave it and save myself some trouble.

-Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Insulated Hybrid