70# propane tank vertical smoker build

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Saskattak
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Re: 70# propane tank vertical smoker build

Post by Saskattak » September 25th, 2020, 7:56 am

List looks complete. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Are youbgoing with a solid baffle or putting holes in it? I added holes to mine to allow a bit more direct heat (mine was designed with higher temp cooking in mind, mind you). It also allows the dripping to get to the fire a bit and add more flavour. I am still to build a smaller plate (6"x6") with a handle to set over the center holes to reduce the direct heat if needed. Image

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 25th, 2020, 8:33 am

I do love a good list. Nothing more satisfying the crossing things off.

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 27th, 2020, 12:09 am

Saskattak wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 7:56 am
List looks complete. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Are youbgoing with a solid baffle or putting holes in it? I added holes to mine to allow a bit more direct heat (mine was designed with higher temp cooking in mind, mind you). It also allows the dripping to get to the fire a bit and add more flavour. I am still to build a smaller plate (6"x6") with a handle to set over the center holes to reduce the direct heat if needed. Image

I plan to do a solid baffle plate with a small gap around the edges. I do also plan to make a grate that can replace the baffle if I wanted to more of a grill type cook over top of the fire.

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 27th, 2020, 12:16 am

dacolson wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 8:33 am
I do love a good list. Nothing more satisfying the crossing things off.
I'm a list person myself haha.
I made the parts for the seals around the door and got them 75% tacked on today. I'll finish that and the latches tomorrow. I'm glad I only tacked the hinges on because I'm definitely going to need to cut th tacks and re position the doors and shim the hinges up a tad so the seals work correctly.
Attachments
20200926_112033.jpg
20200926_113728.jpg
20200926_162815.jpg

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 27th, 2020, 8:32 am

I've hear a few people show concern for stacks on vertical smokers dripping into the food. I guess I never thought of that but I see UDS with a stack right in the middle.
Would a drip baffle if sorts be worth working into the design? A small plate under the exhaust slightly larger than the exhaust that would catch anything that dripped.

Also seeing how small UDS exhaust are it made me wonder if I really need the 4" exhaust. The opening on the propane tank onder the valve bung that's getting cut off is 3". I have some 3" pipe laying around anyways...would save maybe an hour's if work. Hell I actually probably have a 3" chrome exhaust pipe...would jazz it up a bit

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 27th, 2020, 9:29 am

If your heat source is lrimarily charcoal, 3” should be fine. You shouldn’t need much length which will limit condensation. I wonder if the round dome of the top of your tank would help any moisture from your stack to drip down the sides instead of dripping straight down. I’d try and make sure the edges where your stack connects to the top of the tank are rounded.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 27th, 2020, 10:30 am

The best-practice for hinges is to shim the doors about half the thickness of the gasket and then use a ratchet strap to hold the door in place. You can then weld on your hinges. This procedure should give you a crush space for your gasket so it seals properly and the door closes without binding.

Don’t be to upset....you are definitely not the first person to have to cut them off and ro-do!

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 27th, 2020, 1:56 pm

dacolson wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 9:29 am
If your heat source is lrimarily charcoal, 3” should be fine. You shouldn’t need much length which will limit condensation. I wonder if the round dome of the top of your tank would help any moisture from your stack to drip down the sides instead of dripping straight down. I’d try and make sure the edges where your stack connects to the top of the tank are rounded.
Yeah I'll probably do charcoal with a hunk of wood or two. That's how I've always done it in the past. The lump coal I use is hickory and then a few hickory chunks. Yeah that won't be a issue. Should work out good

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 27th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 10:30 am
The best-practice for hinges is to shim the doors about half the thickness of the gasket and then use a ratchet strap to hold the door in place. You can then weld on your hinges. This procedure should give you a crush space for your gasket so it seals properly and the door closes without binding.

Don’t be to upset....you are definitely not the first person to have to cut them off and ro-do!
Thanks for the tip. That was going to be my approach. I have some various sheet steel thickness. The gasket is .125 so I was going to stick some sheet steel under the hung and lay th indoor on but the ratchet strap is a tip. Only issue I'm having how is the top door has a twist. I'm assuming from the ring where two half's of the tank are welded. I should be able to twist it out.

I'm just glad that I have enough fab experience that I had the intuition to tack them knowing that it was bound to happen lol.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 28th, 2020, 10:32 am

I was able to round up a bunch of small small washers from my workbench for my shims. Just used masking tape to put them around the door edge. Was easier than cutting down stock...

Good luck.

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 28th, 2020, 9:05 pm

So progress has been slower going than I would like but apprenticeship classes have started back up so I'm home late twice a night during the week.

So I figured I'd share some picks of some of the odds and ends I have for the smoker.
Everyone loves pics right?

The expanded steel is for the fire box as well as a small table on the side of the smoker.
Attachments
20200928_201505.jpg
20200928_201550.jpg
20200928_201610.jpg
20200928_201620.jpg
20200928_201516.jpg

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 28th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Looks great! I know what you mean. Damn life getting in the way of fun ...

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » September 29th, 2020, 9:56 am

I love your exhaust stack!!

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 29th, 2020, 8:43 pm

:beer:
Cole Leffert wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 9:56 am
I love your exhaust stack!!

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 29th, 2020, 8:47 pm

My gaskets came in the mail today so I'm pretty sure I have all the materials and parts I need. Now it's just a me problem haha.

Tonight I cut the valve bung off and smoothed it out in prep for the exhaust stack. Also cut the crappy bent up bottom stand off so it will stop falling all-over.
I need to get it in some legs before I do the exhaust stack and out the rack supports in so it all comes out straight. I think I'm using some 5/8 round bar to make a tripod stand sort of like.innmy picture.
Attachments
20200929_202208.jpg
20200929_202255.jpg
20200929_202318.jpg

Saskattak
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Saskattak » September 29th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Gotta love those nights in the shop when you kick some ass and cross things off the lists. This is coming along nicely.

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 30th, 2020, 6:05 am

Saskattak wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 9:35 pm
Gotta love those nights in the shop when you kick some ass and cross things off the lists. This is coming along nicely.

Thanks man. I was hoping I'd have it ready for it's first burn this weekend but doesn't look like it's going to happen. It's first cook is going to end up being a cool one. Temps are already falling into the 30s at night here in the Midwest.

Saskattak
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Saskattak » September 30th, 2020, 9:00 am

Rule Hard wrote:
Saskattak wrote:

Thanks man. I was hoping I'd have it ready for it's first burn this weekend but doesn't look like it's going to happen. It's first cook is going to end up being a cool one. Temps are already falling into the 30s at night here in the Midwest.
I knkw what ya mean with Temperatures, I live in the Canadian prairies. She is about to get real cold in the next 6 weeks..and I do the majority of my cooking over live fire. Good thing for parkas, toques and my heated shop right there lol

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 30th, 2020, 9:46 am

Saskattak wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 9:00 am
Rule Hard wrote:
Saskattak wrote:

I knkw what ya mean with Temperatures, I live in the Canadian prairies. She is about to get real cold in the next 6 weeks..and I do the majority of my cooking over live fire. Good thing for parkas, toques and my heated shop right there lol

YUP! Winter is coming. I move most of my smoking to small scale Big Green Egg cooks in the winter. Too cold in MN. I'm really considering selling my current patio smoker and building a fully insulated CC/FB pit. Make another octagon smoker so I can insulate it more easily. It will be HEAVY! Still, how sweet would it be running the pit at -25 deg F!

Saskattak
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Saskattak » September 30th, 2020, 9:50 am

Winter has never slowed me down that much. I have done many long cooks on my WSM bullet at -30°C. I just wrapped insulation around it. Worked like a charm. And beside, fire still makes heat at -40°C, propane does not. However this year with my live fire cooking I will be tested on my commitment to outdoor cooking...until I build a wind break lol.

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » October 2nd, 2020, 6:11 am

dacolson wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 9:46 am
Saskattak wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 9:00 am
Rule Hard wrote:

YUP! Winter is coming. I move most of my smoking to small scale Big Green Egg cooks in the winter. Too cold in MN. I'm really considering selling my current patio smoker and building a fully insulated CC/FB pit. Make another octagon smoker so I can insulate it more easily. It will be HEAVY! Still, how sweet would it be running the pit at -25 deg F!
So the main issue with winter smoking is the affect that the temps have on the amount of fuel it takes to get proper temps right? So the cooler it is the more fuel you'd expect to use in theory.

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » October 2nd, 2020, 6:15 am

I didn't have a ton of time last night but I did grind the welds off from the ring to prep the tank further for it's legs. I also came up with a simpler idea for the legs. I have these 3/16 thick 2.5" square cut offs with misers in them already that will be perfect for the legs and it'll save time, look nice and the weight will help it be less tippy I hope
Attachments
20201001_214547.jpg
20201001_214552.jpg

dacolson

Post by dacolson » October 2nd, 2020, 7:44 am

Rule Hard wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 6:11 am

So the main issue with winter smoking is the affect that the temps have on the amount of fuel it takes to get proper temps right? So the cooler it is the more fuel you'd expect to use in theory.
Correct. It will gobble up wood like crazy at low temps.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » October 2nd, 2020, 7:50 am

On the legs, I’d tack that steel ring to the inside of your legs before mounting the to your tank. It will be way easier to get all 4 legs positioned where you want and held firmly in place to weld to your tank.

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » October 2nd, 2020, 8:12 pm

dacolson wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 7:50 am
On the legs, I’d tack that steel ring to the inside of your legs before mounting the to your tank. It will be way easier to get all 4 legs positioned where you want and held firmly in place to weld to your tank.
That's a good tip. I was going tack the legs to my welding table and set the tank on them. Your idea gives me another idea though. Instead of a roni could just use straight round bar from.ojento the next to get them in place and have the same effect. Thanks for the advice...gives me more to think about