I got it, now what?

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Gooffy500

I got it, now what?

Post by Gooffy500 » September 25th, 2017, 9:07 am

I dragged this out of the back of the shop l, it has been sitti g there for decDes collecting and assortment of junk i inside. Cleaned it all out and tossed the garbage now here's the pearl. It's an approximately 7' high by 4' wide by 2' deep electrical cabinet.

Isn't she a beauty?

I've decided to turn this bad boy into my quantity smoker. Ive been asked to smoke the meat for my companies anniversary party next month, so.i don't have much time to work on it. Any ideas where to start. And how to finish. Should it be insulated or can I get by with just a fire, some shelves and a diffuser over the fire. I was thinking for time and money to do itbsimple.like that. The steel is only 1/8th of an inch thick, with tbe volume and surface area this cabinet has will it be a lossing battle to .maintain a steady temp. ? Profesaional help needed.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: I got it, now what?

Post by Rodcrafter » September 25th, 2017, 1:06 pm

I don't know but it looks interesting. I think I start with getting the inside at least sand blasted. As far as the fire goes I believe you will be using charcoal and running this like an UDS so you will need to seal the door with some high temperature rope. This is important or there truly will be a fire inside it. The size you stated just doesn't seem right according to the picture. It looks like it is 12" deep not 2'.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 25th, 2017, 4:40 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » September 25th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Well it will certainly be an interesting build. Not leaving yourself much time to complete through. Look forward to build pics.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » September 25th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Holy smokes, lol. I just happen to see a nice new electric cabinet, today, at work that I wish I could make into a smoker. But this one was about 6x3x5 feet and still on it's pallet.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”