R&V Cajun Grill Conversion to Smoker

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
terpmackuly

Post by terpmackuly » June 5th, 2018, 7:32 pm

I recently acquired an R&V works smoking cajun grill (https://cajunfryer.com/shop/cajun-smokin-40-gas-grill/). As a grill it is awesome I can sear a steak and or a burger with ease but I want to be able to use it as a more traditional smoker as well.

I want to mod it up and make it into a more traditional smoker. I think a center feed would require minimal modifications but just want to get some thoughts. Here are some photos of the grill to better illustrate what I am thinking and to show you what I am working with:

1 -This is a shot of the internal tubing that make up the radiant heat.

2 - The two burners on each side of the grill

3 - A shot of the propaine jet that shoots into the tubing.

4 - The grill. dimensions 18"x40". I think I will need to put an exhaust in the middle top of the lid behind the thermometer

5 - This is the smoking water tray remove from the grill. This fits inside the CC and rests on top of the burner tubing.

6 - Pic of the water tray on the burner close up. Hard to see but there is a slight gap between the burner and the water tray.

7 - This is a picture of where I want to weld a baffle plate to the water try to divert the smoke throughout the grill

8- I think between the legs will work well for an FB. The dimension I was thinking could be around Length 14" width 15" height 14.

9- Hole for the FB inlet. I think I could get as large as a 6" hole to the FB maybe 8".

Questions:

Does the FB need to attach directly to the Grill or a throat with a butterfly valve a good idea?
How much space should I leave on each side of the water tray baffle?
What size exhaust tube and length would you suggest?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: R&V Cajun Grill Conversion to Smoker

Post by Dirtytires » June 5th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Not saying it cant be done....but should it be? Sounds like you have an awesome grill...cutting into it could mess up its intended design. A smoker and a grill are 2 totally different designs and everytime someone tries to combine into one unit it is a long journey of compromises that never ends with complete happiness of either function. With just a little more work, you could build a dedicated smoker.

I would say that you are on track with your design and could work but id be concerned with the amount of space from the proposed baffle plate to the rack. Looks like it might be pretty close and not give the airflow you are intending.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 5th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Welcome aboard! I'll try to answer your questions 1) the FB doesn't have to be directly attached for it to work but you'll lose some of the radiant heat transfer. 2) On a design like this I would keep the total opening the same as the(throat) opening from the FB. 3) You can have a short stack on a CF because the heat will rise through the CC on its own. A 3'' exhaust just long enough to keep it out of your eyes would be fine. I'm not saying that you can't make this design work but there are a few other things that you would need to figure out before you start cutting. 1) you have to have a way to keep the grease from entering the FB or you'll end up with a fireball. 2) You will probably need to have a shadow plate over the throat, below the baffle plate. This will help avoid a hot spot but also requires extra room. 3) you will need some way of cleaning all of the grease out of the bottom of the CC before you fire up the burners or you risk having a grease fire. Most guys believe that it's best to build a smoker and a grill instead of a combination because of all of the issues that you have to overcome on a combo. You usually end up with an OK grill and OK smoker that has a steep learning curve to figure out. I'm not trying to discourage you from your idea, I just wanted to give you my honest opinion.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

terpmackuly

Post by terpmackuly » June 7th, 2018, 6:23 am

Thanks for the advice. It is just the internal battle just because I can do something doesn't mean I should. I am going to think about it more before I do anything, but will likely take your advice.

Has anyone ever had success in doing this type of conversion? Has anyone ever been able to build a platform that is truly dual purpose and get good results?

I have to imagine if there was a design that could do both things well there is a market for the weekend meat smokers that wants to grill during the week.

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » June 7th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I own a cajun fryer. I had no idea they made a grill.

I think everyone is steering you in the right direction. I wouldn't mess up an $800 grill. What I would do is build a pellet smoker for sub $500 out of a Click here : Smoke Daddy or a Click here : Grizzly Smoker and a 50 gallon drum.

In fact I might be doing that some time soon just to prove I can build something less than I can buy one from Lowe's.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 10th, 2018, 10:47 am

Yep, what those guys said. I don’t necessarily know that I would be willing to cut into that one and less I just hated the way it worked currently. It’s not usually worth it trying to make one unit that does both. I mean look at us, I think between me, Tom, and TheCzar we have probably 20 Pits (round numbers) on hand right now and several half done LOL.
If you want to tried-and-true smoker for on the cheap you should build an ugly drum smoker. The pellet cookers are also an easy build.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 11th, 2018, 4:49 pm

I know my wife just can’t see why I need so many cookers. And I want to make at least 4 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

mofomatic
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by mofomatic » July 20th, 2018, 11:59 am

I was thinking about a combo smoker/grill. Actually it would just be a 2x3 vertical cabinet with a charcoal grill on top.