New Idea...Looking for Opinions

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
ClaytonW

New Idea...Looking for Opinions

Post by ClaytonW » March 5th, 2021, 10:46 am

Got one of these old Wrecking Ball Tanks...That's what we call them around here! Thinking about making it kind of like the Kamado grills/smokers. Haven't gotten fully started yet. Dreading cutting it almost in half to make the lid. Seen some other designs with swing out doors, but don't know if that would allow me to reach to the back if I needed to. Open to ideas before I get completely started. Just thought I would put it out there to see what everyone's thoughts were.
Wrecking Ball Tank.docx
(860.75 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: New Idea...Looking for Opinions

Post by Dirtytires » March 5th, 2021, 10:53 am

A sketch would be helpful. I always like to sketch out my ideas and then add some rough dimensions to them. I then spend a little time thinking about how I am going to use the project and what movement or access is needed and if my size makes sense.

Doors are nice as you retain some heat when open. A lid pretty much dumps all your heat. But sketch it out to see if the doors will work for you.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 5th, 2021, 3:57 pm

I've only saw one of these tanks used on the forum and it was years ago. I'll try to remember what the name of the build thread was and post a link. Ok I found it and it has been lot longer than I thought!! https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... t=bbq+bomb You can look through here to get some ideas but the builder hasn't been on the forum in years so you won't be able to get any additional info.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ClaytonW

Post by ClaytonW » March 5th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Some good ideas there. I found this door design, which I think would be easier to handle. It also swings out level instead of upwards so that you don't burn your arm when opening it all the way.
mine bbq smoker open.jpg
mine bbq smoker.jpg

Bbqjim
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Bbqjim » May 28th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Have you started on this project? Whats the diameter of that thing and whats the weight? it could be a really cool project.

Tospy
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Tospy » May 28th, 2021, 2:54 pm

I´ve made one, bit similar.....putted some spring coiles for opening the lid easier....could be interesting for your build.ImageImage

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G780F met Tapatalk

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”