To build or not to build?

Haul in here to talk trailers.
hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

To build or not to build?

Post by hutcho » December 3rd, 2018, 3:48 pm

Hey guys.

So I'm in the planning stages for my Mack, some of you already have been helping with my dumb questions lol!

So today's thoughts. I want to have the trailer go right off to be able to clear space in my overcrowded shop if I need to work on a car/tractor whatever. That said I can utility trailers, either 4x8 or 5x10 all day long for around 500 bucks. Is it cost effective to build your own when they can be had so cheap? Also might have a line on a trailer for free from my stepdad but I would have to drive 15hrs or at least halfway. I was a tandem axle utility trailer but he shortened it and took it down to just 1 3500lb axle.

Thanks for the help guys!

Carl Hutchison

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Re: To build or not to build?

Post by Chromeski » December 3rd, 2018, 4:00 pm

Honestly idk if it's cost effective to build one vs find a deal on a used one. The super cheap bolt together trailers would be a no go for me personally. Building one gets you just what you want. Whatever you choose just get one that's heavy duty with full size tires...

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 3rd, 2018, 4:07 pm

I have a small one with the little tires, and I will never own another. Not worth the effort. My car trailer has 16" tires and 6 lug. Would be nice to get something setup the same just to make it easy for tire buying and whatnot.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » December 3rd, 2018, 4:31 pm

Yea I hear ya. I hate those little 10 and 12" tires. Its ok if you just want to move across the yard, but out on the road it needs 14" or better imo

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 3rd, 2018, 4:55 pm

Yep. It was just to get my lawn mower to my mother in law's house to mow a few times. Now that I have a bigger mower the trailer isn't even usable lol! I have hauled a truck cab about 4hrs across Missouri on it once though. Talk about sketchy!!!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 3rd, 2018, 8:39 pm

I would build a trailer from 2'' X 3'' tubing or channel iron because the trailers made from angle iron will not hold up. These smokers are heavy and the trailer takes a beating from bouncing down the road. I know of several guys over the years that have had to go back and try to modify their trailers or totally rebuild them. I would do it right the first time and then you'll never have to worry with it again. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » December 3rd, 2018, 9:54 pm

:yth: absolutely.

A Mack is made almost entirely from 1/4" plate. It will be heavy. Plus all the attendant bits like wood bin, beer fridge, wash basin, storage bins etc.
Go thick wall RHS for the main parts at least. And probably a good idea to up the ante on the springs as well.
Over engineering buys you peace of mind in the long run.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 3rd, 2018, 10:50 pm

Sounds like the consensus is build and I agree. Till you spend modifying a cheep used trailer and cutting/altering it to meet your needs, I would rather start from scratch with a narrow axle and build exactally what I want.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 4th, 2018, 8:48 am

I would love to build instead. It was just a cost thing. If it was gonna be around the same I figured prebuilt would be easier/quicker. Probably not better though. I'll do some pricing today and see about where I will be to do it myself. Would the axles from like the farm stores be ok? I don't know of any other local places around here.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 4th, 2018, 3:29 pm

https://www.championtrailers.com/single ... ailer-kit/

Anyone have experience with these guys? Pricing sound ok? I would really like to source stuff local, but have yet to find a supplier.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 4th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Check out “etrailer.com”- I have placed many orders with them over the years and always quality merchandise and good prices. You can get springs, axles, hangers, hubs, lights and anything g else trailer related. They often have a free shipping promotion.

I have to place an order tonight, in fact.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 4th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Yeah I looked closer at that link I shared and shipping was $190!! I have used etrailers before to order my trailer brake controller, they were good to work with. Surprised I forgot about them lol!

Trying to figure out how big I wanna make it now so I know what to order. It's actually quite a bit smaller that I was thinking. Smoker is only around 6 foot long. I was kinda thinking making short as possible and doing an a frame tongue with wood storage basket on the A. Although I know backing a short trailer sucks....

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 4th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Shh don't tell TQ I've been stalking him. I stole this from one of his posts earlier. I was thinking something along these lines, only with a Mack on back lol!Image

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » December 6th, 2018, 6:49 pm

I'm a build your own trailer guy. It's not hard to do and the trailer is perfect for your smoker instead of something that just works ok. I used 4" channel iron and welded it to my firebox, placed the axel as far back as possible. I had never built a trailer before and I wouldn't be afraid to build one again on any future rigs.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 6th, 2018, 6:57 pm

I think I am convinced I'm gonna just do it right and built now.

Question while I'm thinking about it. When doing the A frame part. Does it have to be mounted underneath the deck? Would really like it to be same height as the deck. Considered running another tube from the hitch straight back as well just for added support. If that makes sense. I need to draw a picture.

Also. What gauge for 2x3 tube? I saw somewhere 14ga but if the price isn't much different I would be all for going thicker. If nothing else than it being easier to weld.

Big T

Post by Big T » December 6th, 2018, 8:33 pm

The tongue section doesn't have to be mounted under the trailer, it can be a continuation of the trailer frame. I normally use 11ga tubing because that is the thinnest tubing that my supplier carries and they're the only ones around that don't make you buy a minimum amount of material.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 6th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Big T wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 8:33 pm
The tongue section doesn't have to be mounted under the trailer, it can be a continuation of the trailer frame. I normally use 11ga tubing because that is the thinnest tubing that my supplier carries and they're the only ones around that don't make you buy a minimum amount of material.
:hijack: :hijack: :hijack:

I’m going to do a quick bump....hopefully someone else will be curious also. I have never encountered a supplier that has a steel order minimum. Are you referring to a full piece, a certain footage or a dollar amount requirement?

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 6th, 2018, 10:15 pm

The place I called charges by the foot. No minimum or anything that I know of...

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 6th, 2018, 10:17 pm

I was bumping in to ask Big T since he has encountered it at some of his suppliers. Sorry for the confusion.

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » December 6th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Ah. Sorry bout that. I'm curious as well.

Big T

Post by Big T » December 6th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 10:09 pm
Big T wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 8:33 pm
:hijack: :hijack: :hijack:

I’m going to do a quick bump....hopefully someone else will be curious also. I have never encountered a supplier that has a steel order minimum. Are you referring to a full piece, a certain footage or a dollar amount requirement?
The closest town to me that has metal suppliers is Mobile, Al. There are so many shipyards and major metal fabrication shops in the area that most of the suppliers don't deal with the general public. The few that will sell to the public have a minimum dollar amount that you have to purchase, usually $250-$500.This isn't a problem if you're building a decent size project but it is if you just need a stick of angle. It opened the door for a middleman who buys a lot of the more common metals, angle, plate, tubing, and channel, there's no minimum purchase from there and his prices are pretty fair.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 7th, 2018, 10:26 am

Thanks BigT...that sucks. Had no idea some suppliers were like that. Sure makes you plan ahead and buy in bulk.