Uneven side to side weight => non-level

Haul in here to talk trailers.
trickworm
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Uneven side to side weight => non-level

Post by trickworm » December 26th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Hi there. first post about my first smoker. I've got a tank, firebox and warming oven mounted on my trailer. We mounted it off center like I have seen many do, but it is squatting the mounted side over 1.5" lower than the "unloaded" side. can I use a stronger spring or air bag or something to level out the trailer? We moved the the axle back and have a good tongue is good. We have the smoker loaded to the side so we can walk up into the trailer. I can figure out how to post a pic if that would help. thanks!

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: kids dont try this at home

Re: Uneven side to side weight => non-level

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » December 27th, 2011, 12:55 am

welcome to the site :welcome: i would think about adding helper spring, i don't mean to be a buzz kill but is your axle rated for the weight?

So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?

rlmax02
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: JUST BUSTED BBQ

Post by rlmax02 » December 27th, 2011, 8:18 am

Hey trickworm. Check out the king cooker trailer build post and you will see I had the same issue as many do I assume. I ended up putting to extra leafs on the smoker side to level out the trailer. Its really easy to do and should fix you right up!

REMEMBER....WHEREVER YOU GO...THERE YOU ARE.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 27th, 2011, 11:37 am

I agree with both max and killswitch. I also would like to caution about the axle rating. if the axle is rated for less than the total trailer weight you could risk bearing wear etc. is the trailer very much wider than the smoker? if the smoker is 30" wide lets say and the trailer is 72" wide then i would make for sure the axle is heavy enough. fo instance if the axle is a 2,000 pounder and the smoker weighs 1000 by itself then i would be concerned for that one side being maxed out as far as the capacity.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 27th, 2011, 7:24 pm

:yth: ......and Frank would know from first hand trials..... :explode2:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 27th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Welcome to the site, I gotta vote for an extra leaf provided the axle can handle the weight.

And LOL at DC's comment.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » December 27th, 2011, 10:39 pm

dcman wrote::yth: ......and Frank would know from first hand trials..... :explode2:
hahaha, ok you got me!

trickworm
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by trickworm » January 1st, 2012, 12:36 am

you guys were right. i didn't build the trailer and it is a 37" 500gal propane tank on a 72" trailer. i took it to a pro trailer shop i've used for my boat and they said the axle was fine and the spring still had 50% left, but they recommended just upgrading to a 2500lb spring on the tank side to level it all out and not have to worry about spring compression. got the spring but didn't add it today. instead i made a nice looking air inlet door like k.a.m. with the saw tooth locking lever. looks sweet and operates well too. this is my first welding project and I just love it. something about red hot metal and burning a hole in my coat; great fun! (i did get a nice leather welding coat this week to avoid future clothing fires!) :oopssign:

i'll take some pics of the b4 and after to help out any others too. thanks guys!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » January 1st, 2012, 12:41 am

sounds great trickworm! good deal on the axle being the right one... save a buck or 2!
good decision on the welding coat also, safety first! :points:

jwltx

Post by jwltx » May 7th, 2014, 8:18 am

I have a similar situation. 500 gal with half of a 150 gal as fore box. Homemade trailer. Dexter 3500 lb straight axle. Weighed the completed trailer and smoker which comes in at 2300 lbs. Problem is tank sets off center to left side. Trailer lists to left side and after a 600 mile trip last weekend seems to be putting too much pressure on tire on left side although the rig tows fine. Will be hauling this long distances so need to do something.
Need some feedback. Was wondering if just adding an extra spring to the midpoint of the axle would help. I have never seen this used by a commercial built trailer so wondering if there is some reason not to do this. Other solution is drop out axle and springs for a 6000 lb combo. We mounted the axle and springs to a 2 1/2 " 1/4 " angle iron with is bolted to frame. So would be easy to swap out. Thanks.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » May 8th, 2014, 7:03 am

My thoughts are, that if the tire is being maxed out /overloaded, then adding springs won't help the tire. So I would swap it out with a pair of axles, that will be more than enough and never have to wonder if it will make it or not. Done deal!

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Trailer Fabrication”