Bolting a 160 gallon smoker to trailer?

Haul in here to talk trailers.
rikun
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Bolting a 160 gallon smoker to trailer?

Post by rikun » March 17th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Hi,

My build is slowly getting somewhere, and I need to start thinking about marrying my smoker and trailer soon... The smoker is around 160 gallons, around 7' long and the completed build will weight maximum of 800 pounds with the firebox.

The trailer is quite small and it has solid plywood floor. I'd want to avoid welding directly to the trailer since it's galvanized and I might need to work on the trailer later on. The trailer also has non-removable sides, which is going to make everything more complicated. I'm pretty sure it's designed in such a way that the sides are somewhat load-bearing, so I don't want to cut them out too much.

If I remember correctly, the trailer has 4 u-channel crossmembers underneath the plywood floor. I was thinking bolting through the plywood to the crossmembers, but I have a feeling those u-channels aren't stout enough. Maybe weld a couple of square tubing crossmembers and bolt to those?

One problem with bolting could be the firebox, it's heavy at around 300 pounds and since it's all the way back it's going to be "pulling" the whole smoker assembly down putting additional stress on the bolts.

I'll post some pics when I'll visit my folks where the build is located.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Bolting a 160 gallon smoker to trailer?

Post by Frank_Cox » March 17th, 2014, 6:40 pm

sounds like you could take some 1/2" pipe and cut spacers the same length as the thickness of your plywood. drill holes through the plywood big enough for the pipe to sit in. then drill holes in the frame small enough for the bolt to fit through and the spacer to sit on. then mount your smoker to the trailer and it will sit on the spacers and not crush the plywood but be tight to the trailer. :beer:

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » March 18th, 2014, 5:18 am

What's the chances of building a new trailer? Then you have what you want and don't have to work on it later. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

rikun

Post by rikun » March 29th, 2014, 8:22 pm

No change at all since it's mandatory to have a trailer registered in this country. And it's way easier to modify existing one, it's almost impossible to build one and get it to comply with every EC regulation etc etc :(

Frank that's a good idea, although I'm not that worried about the plywood (it's already a bit rotten). I'm just worried I have nothing strong enough on the trailer frame to mount to.