Northern Tool Torsion Axle Set

Haul in here to talk trailers.
Q-Dat
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Northern Tool Torsion Axle Set

Post by Q-Dat » April 24th, 2015, 7:27 am

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... leOptOut=1

Anybody ever tried em? I'm thinking they will be just about perfect for what I am building.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Northern Tool Torsion Axle Set

Post by Big T » April 24th, 2015, 9:38 pm

I've never used them on anything that I built but I have owned a couple of boat trailers that had similar ones on them They were fine when they were new but over time they wore out and the tires had more camber than my old dirt car. It's hard to beat the durability of a solid axle with leaf springs and it looks like the price of both setups is about the same. jm2cw
I must add that I'm not sure what you're building but if it is being pulled up and down the road a lot then I'd probably stay away from these.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Q-Dat
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Northern Tool Torsion Axle Set

Post by Q-Dat » April 24th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Big T wrote:I must add that I'm not sure what you're building but if it is being pulled up and down the road a lot then I'd probably stay away from these.
I'm building a pit that will probably end up well under 500 lbs. I don't really want to go the full trailer route. I just want the smoker itself to be towable and not bounce around too much because it isn't heavy enough. Supposedly these provide a much smoother ride for light loads.