Haul in here to talk trailers.
Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Re: First build attempt starts Tomorrow! Need help

Post by Pennywise » July 30th, 2014, 7:27 am

I run a diesel repair shop, so I work on Ahern Rentals, United Rentals, and Sunbelt Rentals trucks. Called em all, and Sunbelt is going to let me use their big sandblaster and compressor....I'm getting truly excited! I already pressure washed the paint off the outside, but I want clean metal on the inside, so I'm going to sandblast it then wipe it down.

For those that have done this...whats the best method for ensuring no surface rust between sandblasting the exterior and paint? In Misery we have high humidity all summer, so even though its indoors, I expect some surface rust. I thought about wiping it down with motor oil on the outside, but didn't know how I would clean it properly before paint...or if it would be more time consuming than sanding it by hand before paint. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » July 30th, 2014, 7:34 am

Don't oil it, paint will never stick. You will get minor rust, but most will wipe off easily, unless it sits along time. I wouldn't cover it or anything. If anything is touching the bare metal, it will cause more rust.

I soda blasted mine and after 6 months outside the rust was minimal except where moisture accumulated.

My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » July 30th, 2014, 7:35 am

Soda blasted? Please explain...

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » July 30th, 2014, 8:01 am

Pretty sure its baking soda instead of sand.

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » July 30th, 2014, 9:09 am

That's right..only a slightly different delivery process ...nice finish process though... even good for fiberglass boats.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » July 30th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Im getting to the point where I'm starting to concern myself with things such as:
  • Where does the baffle need to sit? Directly above the fb to tank cut out, or can it go a little further up?
    For a fb intake, is there a place that sells a 12" pre-cut round intake?
    According to my calculations, its going to require a 8" diam stack to keep it under 4' tall. Should I go square?
    How do you calculate the opening from fb to tank?
Thanks to all who have been so gracious in answering my questions. I do try to peruse other threads first, but it seems most builds are smaller than the one I took on, and I get all caught up in the photo's and modifying what I want to do that I lose track. :oopssign:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 30th, 2014, 10:21 pm

1) I try to keep the BP no more than 2'' above the Throat opening ( that leaves room for a shadow plate if you end up needing one) 2) square vs round is personal preference (I like the look of round) have you thought about using twin stacks ? 3) If you look at the pit calculator on the home page it will give you your opening in square inches, the shape of the opening doesn't matter as long as it is the right size. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » August 1st, 2014, 8:07 am

Thanks Big T. I decided from seeing the round ones that I too like the look better.

Twin 4" stacks....interesting...I'll look into that.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » August 4th, 2014, 6:46 am

So here's my updated pit calculations. I was all set to put in my baffle and back plate when it dawned on me by cutting off the rear round end of the 500 gal tank I reduced the overall 'tank' size and my calculations for 500 gallons would be wrong. I still had the end, and I searched the internet for how much liquid the cap would hold, but to no avail.

I came to work this morning and using a 5 gallon bucket I discovered I had cut off 60 gallons. I re-ran my equations with a 440 gal tank and this is what I got:

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

So could someone look at that and tell me this: Seeing as how Im using the 'half moon' style opening, the diameter is supposed to be 26.39 inches. The overall radius is 38 inches. Are they saying measure from the bottom up to 26.39, or is there another calculation I need to have?

All that said, I got more pics to upload cause we managed to get our diamond plate installed under the CC onto the trailer. THanks in advance for any help.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » August 4th, 2014, 9:33 am

And as promised, PHOTOS!

The first three are of the 1/8" diamond plate that I got to cover the underside of the CC while on the road...and because diamond plate is the next best thing since boobs. We used a plasma cutter to make sure we could notch the diamond plate and not have to cut it into pieces

And this gentlemen...is what I shall use to haul it! Runs great, got it for 700 bucks. 1988 Mack FTW!

We will remove the apparatus from the back and get bins for storage, etc. to mount to the back. Pintle hook setup is already on tractor, so that's what I will do with my trailer.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » August 4th, 2014, 11:49 am

Way cool! :kewl:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » August 4th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Why not weld some lifting pockets on the cooker? Back in, pick er up and head home. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » August 4th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Holy Mackerel! That thing is great. Those rams might make some great log splitters if you're not using them for the pit. I see air brakes on that chassis...CDL?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » August 4th, 2014, 5:26 pm

The overall radius is 38 inches. Are they saying measure from the bottom up to 26.39, or is there another calculation I need to have?
Running the numbers thru the PitCalc here and I get the same numbers. To have the 274 sq in throat opening you'd need a half moon width of 34 1/2" according to handymath. 11" up from bottom.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » August 13th, 2014, 6:30 am

Thanks Pete!

Yes I have a CDL. Class B with brake endorsement, so its all good. Im taking the lifting apparatus off, and I already have a 44 ton log splitter. If anyone is interested in the lift set up, I'm sure we will be willing to part with it. My goal is to build containers, keg taps...you know the essentials for the rear of the truck. Im hoping to eventually chop down a short box and make a walk in area that can be for food prep, with space for a cot when I get tired. For now though Im focused on smoker build, so the Mack will just be an interesting way to haul the smoker.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » August 28th, 2014, 1:49 pm

OK so this weekend I'm attempting to cut our door opening and install the BP. Pete, just so I'm clear:

The 11' up from the bottom...does that include the 2" up from the bottom to keep grease out? Or is it 13"? Thanks in advance brotha, I am just nervous about doing this part wrong.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » August 28th, 2014, 3:15 pm

The 11" is the half moon height you need to get the throat opening you need. If you want a 2" grease dam just raise it to 13" and create the 11" high opening.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » August 29th, 2014, 8:53 am

You're awesome Pete.

We were thinking of putting a 1" angle on the end of the baffle (nearest the round end) and running a pipe down to the drain bung and using that as our grease disposal. This should keep it all out of the bottom half of the tank. Anyone attempted this? Am I crazy to think it would remove the need for the lip near the fire box?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 29th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Yes Pennywise, I normally make my throat as low as I can on my tank and put a 2'' dam on the end of my BP, I run a piece of 2'' pipe from the BP down through the bottom of the tank and put a ball valve on it so I can drain it. It makes it a lot easier to keep the grease cleaned out. jm2cw.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » September 12th, 2014, 8:00 am

Thanks T....I did just that. I welded in a piece of channel across the front of the bp and cut out a 2.5" hole where the original drain was aligned and welded in the pipe. it looks nice. I have tons of pictures to upload ( I am a very old proponent of pics or it didn't happen) but life has been kicking my arse lately, and time is the only thing holding me back.

I know all of you experienced this your first build...when you cut that hole for the doors and install the bp....its exciting! I'm really jazzed right meow.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 12th, 2014, 8:03 am

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » September 12th, 2014, 9:38 am

There is nothing like your first build. Every cut will make you nervous but if you take your time it will work out fine.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » September 12th, 2014, 11:55 am

Clover Ridge Smokers wrote:There is nothing like your first build. Every cut will make you nervous but if you take your time it will work out fine.
Yeah no lie there. I probably measure 4 times, then stop and think of every other possible way to do it....sometimes its helped me not make mistakes, other times its simply slowed the process.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 13th, 2014, 9:55 am

Boy I can relate to thinking about it too much. I must have a plan before start or I build the whole thing over and over in my head and don't get any progress done.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » September 14th, 2014, 7:44 am

I'm the same way. I build it a couple dozen times in my head so it's just perfect. Then I forget where in my mind I filed it….. so I started using graph paper a few years back and that get's me back on track…… sucks getting old…. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)