Haul in here to talk trailers.
T G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Drummin Up Some Q

Trailer toprail question

Post by T G » June 23rd, 2015, 6:12 am

Im in the middle of a trailer build for my comp rig, and Im at the point where Im about to start the overhead structure. My question is about cutting the toprail of my trailer to make doors.

My dad seems to think that if I cut the toprail in 2 spots that it will cause the trailer to collapse. Im of the opinion that the toprail is there to keep things in, otherwise car haulers would have them.

Can someone let me know which of us is right?

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Trailer toprail question

Post by Rodcrafter » June 23rd, 2015, 6:57 am

Can you show us a pic or describe how the frame is made. For example the framework of a single car hauler that a person pulls behind an pickup doesn't need an top rail, because the frame is typically made of 6"X 1/4" channel iron. But the channel itself is an bridge structure consisting of a bottom and top flange, the distance these two flanges are from each other determine the strength of the bridge. Say if it was 4" channel it wouldn't be enough. But if it were 2x4 square tubing it could be enough because the inside and outside walls of the tubing make it almost as strong as 6" channel but if I cut the top or bottom of the channel or tubing it would destroy the strength of it. Now if the trailer frame is like an lawn trailer made of angle iron with an top rail about 18" above the bottom one it relies on the rail to complete the bridge because angle only has one flange.

jm2cw

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

T G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by T G » June 23rd, 2015, 7:41 am

The bottom rail is 4x4x5/16" angle. It was originally built to haul a bush hog. It has 4x4x1/4" cross bracing @ 2' o.c. It is a tilt bed trailer, but it won't be used in that capacity anymore, obviously.

I did leave out that I am planning on "framing" the opening at that location, Im planning on taking the 1 upright support and relocating it to the cut edge, so I can maintain that support. I don't really know how to communicate that adequately, so I will do a rendering here in a little bit to show you what Im talking about

T G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by T G » June 23rd, 2015, 12:48 pm

I hope this better explains what I am trying to do. I show the existing condition of the toprail, and I am going to cut the toprail, reinforce both sides of the cut with uprights, and make that my entrance to the trailer. I was wanting to do both sides, but it's starting to sound like I might not be able to do that.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 23rd, 2015, 7:22 pm

That's what I would call a lawn trailer. So I would be inclined to agree with your dad. Sorry

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

T G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by T G » June 23rd, 2015, 8:58 pm

So I shouldnt cut the toprail at all, or do only one entrance on the side?

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » June 23rd, 2015, 9:19 pm

Cut it up!! 4" angle frame is plenty for the frame to stay straight. The rail is just for holding stuff in and tying it down. Once your done with your build, if there's places you can brace it do it.
Just my $.02

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 24th, 2015, 7:35 am

I have been in the rigging,trucking and crane, business 36 years. I have repaired trailers that were bent, that I didn't build. I have built many that never were bent. The bottom line is the top rail does more than hold stuff in. The real question is how much load are you going to put on it and where in relation to that load are you going to cut the bridge out? Like, if the cut is behind the axles where there is really no real load then it would surely carry a minor load. If it is in front of the axles, you will see your smoker waving at you going down the road., as the trailer flexes.

jm2cw

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 24th, 2015, 7:45 am

This is a car trailer I made years ago. It didn't have rails on it back then because the framework was strong enough to do the job. But I also wanted to have rails on it to hold stuff in, so I built them and used the ramps as part of the rail system. The main point is that frame didn't need the rails, so I can remove the ramp and use a forklift to set a pallet of sod or tile in front of the axles then load the rest of the trailer from the rear. The Home Depot guys love it. Image

Making memories.

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » June 24th, 2015, 7:53 am

I agree with RC that top rail is a intricate part of the trailer structure. I would not cut either side as it will create a weak point.

From Infinity and beyond

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 24th, 2015, 8:48 am

RC, I don't think you'd ever be accused of under-building ANYTHING!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 24th, 2015, 9:16 am

Well I have to agree with you Pete, but I don't have to REBUILD it either.

LOL

T G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by T G » June 24th, 2015, 2:08 pm

Well, that changes my plans. Im glad I asked for sure before I did something and screwed the whole rig up.

I am putting my smoker at the front (Backwoods Competitor Clone) and it's not particularly light. I can plan for entering and exiting through the rear of the trailer, that's not an issue, I just like to know ahead of time.

I will take a few photos tonight when I get home, I took all of the existing decking off and put down metal studs to make a subfloor structure, and bring everything up a couple of inches. I took the first 4' of the deck and put down expanded metal so my smoker won't burn the whole thing up, and 2x8 on the rest. I am doing a full covered trailer with 2 side fold outs, and a small one off the front to keep the rain off my smoker. It's going to be pretty sharp once I get done with it. I don't need it until my next comp Sept 10-11, but I am looking to be done in the next 4-6 weeks.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » July 19th, 2015, 6:08 pm

TG ya get you trailer completed ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN