Combo welding cart/table

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
akjeff
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Combo welding cart/table

Post by akjeff » September 7th, 2018, 11:06 pm

After finishing my compressor tank RF smoker, I ended up building a cart to serve as both a welder cart and welding table. Space is tight in my home shop, and just don't have the room for a welding table and a cart for my welders. So, this rig holds my MIG and TIG machines, along with the plasma cutter, and has a 24"x 32"x 1/4" table top. I welded 1/4-20 bungs around the top of the frame, and then shimmed the top as flat as I could when tightened down via countersunk screws. Should fit my needs well, as most of my welding is a lot smaller/lighter than a smoker build....mainly motorcycle related projects. In case anyone is wondering what the heck the "Y" valve is off the argon bottle. That is a splitter for my TIG machine, so I can back purge SS exhaust pipe.( the green hose).

Jeff
Attachments
IMG_4747.jpg

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Combo welding cart/table

Post by ajfoxy » September 8th, 2018, 3:20 am

Nice, complements the checkerplate wall... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » September 8th, 2018, 6:58 am

Nice!

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 8th, 2018, 9:24 am

Looks a whole lot better than my cart....nice work.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » September 8th, 2018, 10:25 am

:beer:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 8th, 2018, 10:40 am

:kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

akjeff
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by akjeff » September 8th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Thanks guys. Made good use of leftovers. The diamond plate was leftover from the wall. Angle iron shelf frames, expanded metal, and 1/4" plate were from the smoker build. Just had to buy the square tube and castors. While I'd love to have a dead flat top with fixturing holes, they're just too expensive to justify for home use, and shipping to AK is a killer anyway. So I countersunk 1/4-20 screws around the perimeter of the 1/4" plate, and welded in threaded inserts in the top of the frame. The 1/4" plate is thin enough that it can be shimmed and pulled reasonably flat. Easily replaced down the road. The cart is small enough to maneuver around my bike lift, and self contained. Last thing to do, is mount an electrical box to gang all three machines on one #6 AWG SO cord so I can reach any point in the shop within reason. I only run one machine at a time, so overloading the cord isn't an issue. These new inverter based machine's are pretty stingy on power anyway.
Last edited by akjeff on September 8th, 2018, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Nice, neat and compact. I admire someone who can efficiently work on a small table. I require a huge table to keep my OCD under control....lol.

FYI, made up a heavy cord for my machines and used a 30 amp extension cord for rv trailers. Till you figure in the cost of the ends on a cable, it was pretty reasonable. I can now run all my machines from any of my 30 amp outlets or my generator with the same cord set. I think they come standard at 25 foot which is perfect for must home shops.

littlerascal56
beginner
beginner
Title: BBQ for life

Post by littlerascal56 » September 8th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Nice setup. I built mine so I can roll it anywhere in my shop, and out in the driveway. It stores in the corner when not used.
Attachments
IMG_0682.JPG

Gravity fed smoker++BGE XL++Blackstone 36++FlameBoss 300
Hays Kansas

littlerascal56
beginner
beginner
Title: BBQ for life

Post by littlerascal56 » September 8th, 2018, 2:49 pm

My cart with Miller 211 and plasma cutter.
Attachments
IMG_0683.JPG

Gravity fed smoker++BGE XL++Blackstone 36++FlameBoss 300
Hays Kansas

akjeff
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by akjeff » September 8th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm
Nice, neat and compact. I admire someone who can efficiently work on a small table. I require a huge table to keep my OCD under control....lol.

FYI, made up a heavy cord for my machines and used a 30 amp extension cord for rv trailers. Till you figure in the cost of the ends on a cable, it was pretty reasonable. I can now run all my machines from any of my 30 amp outlets or my generator with the same cord set. I think they come standard at 25 foot which is perfect for must home shops.
Thanks. Space is at a premium for me, otherwise, I'd have a 4x8 table! :) A 25' cord is exactly what I have in mind. My bay in the garage is 32' long, and I've wired 50A outlets at each end. That will allow me to reach the entire shop, and 25' out the driveway. You're correct on the outlet/plug cost....those suckers are expensive!

Jeff

akjeff
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by akjeff » September 8th, 2018, 6:12 pm

littlerascal56 wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 2:49 pm
My cart with Miller 211 and plasma cutter.
Nice setup! I like the paint/powder as well, looks great. Once I get the add ons, hooks, hangers figured out, I'd like to have everything but the tabletop powder coated. Need to use it a while, in case I need to change anything.

Jeff

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » September 8th, 2018, 7:23 pm

the cart is very well built. I've been thinking of building a welder cart myself... I gotta build it larger than my current welder cuz I wanna upgrade in the near future

akjeff
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by akjeff » September 8th, 2018, 11:28 pm

The space savings by going to an inverter based machine(s) was really helpful. This cart takes up a footprint that is only slightly larger than that of my former 25 year old transformer style 250A MIG machine. As it turned out, my local welding/fab shop was looking for that very machine, so we worked out a deal. The new Power MIG 210 and the Squarewave TIG 200 are perfect for my needs. Same with the Hypertherm 30. It's a little powerhouse! The next space saving project is a 3 station rotating table to hold the grinding wheel, belt/disc sander, and port-a-band (mounted on a SWAG table). A ripoff idea on a table that used to be sold by Sears Craftsman. More good welding practice.....I need it! :)

Jeff

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » September 9th, 2018, 6:38 am

Nice

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........