New (to me anyway) Mig Welder

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
GvilleDave
beginner
beginner

New (to me anyway) Mig Welder

Post by GvilleDave » April 28th, 2012, 8:29 pm

So I am embarking on my first smoker build and needed to buy my first welder. After reading on here and studying welder types etc. I decided to go with a mig welder. I was planning to buy a new welder at Harbor Freight but found a used Lincoln SP 170T mig welder on Craigslist for $200. I did. Little research and thought this was a fair deal. The biggest issue is adding a 240 v outlet in my garage but that won't be too bad.

Anybody on here used this model Lincoln before? Oh it came with a regulator and hose but I had to buy a bottle for the gas at Harbor Freight ($84 less 20% off coupon).

GvilleDave
beginner
beginner

Re: New (to me anyway) Mig Welder

Post by GvilleDave » April 28th, 2012, 8:31 pm

I should add that my wedding experience is minimal and consisted of some construction related welding with a stick welder 20 years ago... Looking forward to developing some new skills during the build.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » April 28th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Never used that model before. sounds like a good deal tho!

Brewery
Expert
Expert
Title: And there I was...

Post by Brewery » April 28th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Gotta love craigslist...I catch myself looking threw all the stuff for sale nearly every day. Searchtempest.com is a handy tool if your looking for a particular item on craigslist (it searches all the areas nearby)

Why buy when you can build

GvilleDave
beginner
beginner

Post by GvilleDave » April 29th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Here are a couple pics. Also got my 240 outlet and circuit installed today in the garage so next weekend I should be testing this baby out!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » April 29th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Congrats Dave! - hope it works out good for you

And if you're having a "New Welder" party just drop me a note and I'll be right over ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » April 30th, 2012, 9:12 am

Looks like you got a good deal! that will be a great welder to start with. you may need to do v grooves and 2 passes on thicker stuff but it will work fine. I use a lincoln 180 for thin stuff like UDS drums etc. It works great for that kind of stuff but the lincoln 255 is what I use for bigger MIG jobs.

RDRASH
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Master Mechanic
BBQ Comp Team Name: Red Beard BBQ

Post by RDRASH » May 3rd, 2012, 9:30 pm

That was a heck of a deal for 200 bucks. :kewl:

Everything Is 4 Sale

GvilleDave
beginner
beginner

Post by GvilleDave » May 8th, 2012, 8:51 am

Thanks - hopefully it will prove to be a reliable machine... I did not get to start testing out my welding skills last weekend. I was out of town all last week on business and did not have time to buy my gas and wire before the weekend. I guess I could have started with flux core but I am hearing from friends that I should expect better results w/ mig / gas. I now have a 20 cf tank of 75/25 and 10# of .035 wire so this weekend should be fun. :explode2:

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » May 8th, 2012, 10:46 pm

GvilleDave, I am going to give you my opinion, for your machine I would go with .030, or .025 wire probablly the .030. you will be able to to carry just as big a puddle with the .030 than with the .035 and use less amps. I would defiently go with hard wire ie ( solid wire) and you are right on with the 75% argon and 25% C02. I think some people call innershield (wire that you do not use gas with) flux core Personally flux core wire is wire that will produce a flux but is used with gases. C02/Argon/C02/ or tri mix I do not speak blindly I worked many many years welding 100% X-ray high pressure piping and pressure vessels,vapor bodies, digesters ect. And beleive you me you can weld downhill with hard wire (mig/Short-arc process) and make welds that are excellent in quality. You just have to know the process. Do not ride the puddle stay on the leading edge of it. Sorry for the long post I just get on my soapbox when it comes to welding!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me just say this in flux core There is self shielding flux core-Requires no gas and is always run DC straight polarity Then there is flux core that requires gas- always run DC reverse polarity. Any flux core wire requires more heat and amps than soild wire!!!!!!! :BDHorse:

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » May 9th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Great info TQ!

Sent using Forum Runner. Try it out for Android or iPhone IOS

GvilleDave
beginner
beginner

Post by GvilleDave » May 11th, 2012, 10:49 am

Wow - great advice! It was at least 25 years ago that I did any welding and even then it was a little stick welding doing construction work. Excited to practice a little this weekend.

GvilleDave
beginner
beginner

Post by GvilleDave » May 12th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Thanks to TQ I went and swapped my .035 wire for a spool of .030. While out I stopped at Harbor Freight and got a $49 mig cart to set things up and make the rig more mobile...

Today I finally got to try my hand at welding and testedth welder out. I bought some 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 angle and cut a few short pieces to play with. Started with a few spot welds on the angle flat. Then tried a bead weld down the length of the flat. Lastly I put 2 pieces side by side and tacked the together before running a bead down the length of the seam. Everything worked good and other than a little shaky start the welds all look pretty good with solid penetration. From here on out my practice will be on my cooker!

Thanks for the help!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » May 12th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Just like riding a bike, A?

Glad it is working out for you! Now lets see that build! :rulz:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » May 13th, 2012, 8:12 am

GvilleDave Glad to see that all is working out for you. Just keep running those beads and you will be smoking soon!!!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”