gun nozzle

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

gun nozzle

Post by Miles » February 11th, 2015, 8:45 am

I have a 240 volt Lincoln 180 amp welder
After running out of mig gas I switched over to flux core to weld the baffle plate into my tank. I changed the polarity, installed the flux core wire and replaced the brass GMAW gun nozzle with the black FCAW gun nozzle. I tacked the plates into place and made 3-4" stitch welds in various spots around the plates in an attempt not to overheat and warp anything. As I have three plates and a fourth small one there was about 12 feet to be welded.After welding for a while the black flux gun nozzle started to melt on the end. I thought these would be made of a ceramic material not plastic.
What gives? Am I getting too close to the weld with the gun? I tried to give the machine and the plates a break every few minuts to cool down. Seems rather silly to put a plastic nozzle on a gun whose tip can get hot.

Al Miles

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: gun nozzle

Post by Big T » February 12th, 2015, 12:23 am

I'm not sure about the plastic nozzle but if you're using gasless wire you shouldn't need a nozzle. I only use gas shielded wire but I have a friend who has a little 110 volt gasless mig and it doesn't have a nozzle and there's no way to install one. I'm not sure about your machine but it should tell you in the manual or maybe you could google it.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » February 13th, 2015, 8:59 am

I re -read my manual, it doesn't say anything about the nozzle other than to use it. I can only assume it's to protect the gas diffuser ports on the gun when not using gas. Why it would be made out of plastic is mind boggling.
Attachments
gun nozzle 002.jpg
gun nozzle 008.jpg

Al Miles

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » February 14th, 2015, 7:57 am

It's only purpose is to keep crap out of the gas holes. LOL say it fast and it sounds funny. Sorry. You can run the brass if you like, you will just have to clean it alot. Or just run nothing at all. And clean the diffuser when you go back to gas. A clean gas hole is a happy gas hole.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » February 14th, 2015, 8:52 am

PD I think you were having some there with those words.

Good morning

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » February 14th, 2015, 9:18 am

I took the sea voyage over to the big island yesterday to get more MIG gas. I couldn't find another black nozzle but I noticed there are different shaped brass nozzles as well as tapered tips. I will try to find a brass nozzle the same shape as the plastic one and use it when welding with flux core.
thank you for the replies.

Al Miles

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » March 1st, 2015, 9:39 am

Lincoln has three different tapers of nozzles for my particular gun. What is the advantage and/or use of a smaller diameter tapered nozzle, other than you can get it into tighter spots? It also has a nozzle called a spot weld nozzle what is that one about?

Al Miles

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » March 1st, 2015, 8:36 pm

Miles, you are correct in that they are to get in a tighter space or in a bevel of a pipe. I do know that there are also some different lengths available ( at least miller does ) that set your contact tip flush with your nozzle or recessed in a little which I prefer. The spot weld nozzles a normally for body work and have a longer end and are generally used on a machine with a spot weld mode. Can I ask what gas you are using ? :welder:

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » March 1st, 2015, 8:44 pm

Miles. I'm sorry just realized that you are using fluxcore. My bad. :oopssign:

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » March 3rd, 2015, 9:28 pm

Not at all, thank you,
I'm using C02/argon mix, I just switched to the flux core when I ran out of gas. I'm only on my second bottle so have a lot to learn. While looking for a new flux core nozzle I noticed the different brass gas nozzles and wondered what the advantages of them were. The one that came with my gun has the tip flush with the end of the nozzle and is fairly wide. I thought a skinnier one would have helped while I was trying to weld my smoke stack to the end of my tank. I couldn't weld all the way around on the inside of the tank just the outside. What is the advantage of having the tip recessed?

Al Miles

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » March 4th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Miles, the recessed nozzle is just a preference of mine and I'm only talking a slight recess, I tend to weld hot and it seems to help on the contact tip life. I would stay with what it came with and maybe get the narrow nozzle for when you need it in tight places. I take that you are using 75/25 gas, myself I really hate that gas for anything structural, good for sheet metal. I like a argon ox mix, 95/5 or 98/2. :welder:

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 4th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Blazer,

Since you bring this up...might you shed some light on what the different gas mixes do? Is it something we home welder guys may benefit from? Is the finished weld different looking or the same ? Would it be worth trying to go out and get?

Hoping this does not hijack the thread

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » March 4th, 2015, 8:44 pm

No it does not hijack thread, I'd like to know as well. One can never learn too much, remembering is the hard part.

Al Miles

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 4th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Remembering what ?

:D

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Miles
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Miles » March 5th, 2015, 8:23 am

Exactly

Al Miles

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » March 5th, 2015, 8:52 am

Puff, 75/25 is more for sheet metal and will give some cold lap sometimes on structural steel,but if you are using it on a machine with plenty of heat then you probably won't notice as much. 95/5 or 98/2 runs hotter and seem's to give a flatter contour. If you are using a 120 volt mig or a lower amp machine you would get some benefit from an ox mix gas. This is just my opinion. :welder:

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”