Eye damages and cheap hoods

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Eye damages and cheap hoods

Post by Puff » March 15th, 2015, 10:14 am

I had my eyes routinely checked the other day and was told I will be driving a luxury Chinese automobile within the next 10-12 years.... Cataract

So my thoughts are....what really gets filtered out in a cheap welding hood versus a high end model?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Eye damages and cheap hoods

Post by Frank_Cox » March 15th, 2015, 10:42 am

That's a good question! I wonder sometimes myself. I used to weld on the 9 setting on my auto non digital hood. then I started using my pipeliner hood with an auto darkening non-adjustable hood. it is a shade 10. I have since changed all my hoods to use the 10 setting and I think it's making a difference. The biggest thing I think contributes to eye issues tho is reflective rays off of walls and other reflective surfaces behind you while you're welding. I have been considering a cover of some kind behind my mask :welder:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 15th, 2015, 11:20 am

As for reflected light, when I was a kid welding in a tank shop I had a bad experience. I was welding the inside of a tank approximately (500 barrel) another welder on the opposite side also on the inside. Well the light from his arc reflected in my shield from behind me, it was the worse eye burn I ever have had. I began wearing a bib on the back of my hood, never another exposure.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » March 15th, 2015, 12:01 pm

I had that happen about 8 years ago, welding in a water tank, (we used to build water tanks for the military at a place i used to work) i started using a bib on the back of mine for that very reason, and i also for some odd reason started using the gold colored lenses #10 shade, for me they seem to work a little better, some may depend too if its a pipeliner style, or the full face type of shield, but i could be wrong, and flash burn, is for sure no fun at all!

Tommy Joe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Tommy Joe » March 19th, 2015, 8:25 pm

I know auto hoods are expensive and there are some inexpensive ones out there but you are only issued one set of eye balls , Protect them!!! You don't have to but the high dollar one but look into a good brand.

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 22nd, 2015, 10:06 pm

Ok, so I am new to welding and have a cheap helmet that I just used with my Miller 211 mig welder to weld up my UDS this past Friday. This was the first time I had welded for over 20 years since my High School metals class. My cheap welding helmet has auto darkening from setting 9-13. I am guessing that 9 is the lightest with 13 being the darkest setting, I honestly don't know as they are all too dark for me to see where I am welding once the helmet darkens. So what is a good helmet that will not break my wallet or my eyes and has lighter settings that will be able to see when welding with my mig welder. Does an arc welder create a brighter arc than a mig, just curious cause I can't see with this helmet while using my mig as all I can see is the arc light but nothing in front of it to do a straight weld. It is kinda hard to weld as a new welder, but now add on that you can't see where you are welding, a bit frustrating. Thanks

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » March 22nd, 2015, 10:26 pm

I would wonder why you not able to see well on you 9-10 setting. My cheap helmet I can see at any number quite clearly ...slight yellow but clearly. Once. the sparks start to fly it triggers it's color change and gets Dark...does yours not do that?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 22nd, 2015, 10:42 pm

Puff the problem is once the sparks fly and the shield goes dark, it gets too dark for me to see. I don't know, I did have a cataract in each eye of mine removed already, don't know if that has something to do with it or not. I had what the eye doctor called a young mans cataract which he said is common in Police work with working at night and the bright flashing lights on our patrol vehicles, brings on cataracts at a young age. I'm 40 and and had a cataract removed in both of my eyes already but also been in police work for almost 18 years already and doctor says that is what caused it over many years of eyes being adjusted to dark and then bright flashing lights. Anyway, that is my problem, the helmet gets too dark for me to see after the sparks start to fly.

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » March 23rd, 2015, 2:32 pm

I am also nee to welding had always done wood working. I also had trouble seeing no matter the shade. I did a little research online and think I figured it out for me anyway. Online they called it arc mesmerization. I focused on the arc. I found if I look below the arc if pulling or above the arc if pushing I can see pretty good with a 10. I still catch myself staring at the arc and before I know it I am an inch from where I need to be.

Tommy Joe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Tommy Joe » March 23rd, 2015, 3:11 pm

You have to look at the arc to see your puddle to make a good weld. If your having trouble staying on where you want your weld and old trick is to use soapstone and mark a line. Another is to put more light on the area. A 250 halogen works great, I was doing a weld test one time and having trouble seeing and one of the guys loaned me a 250 halogen, I'm a believer have owned one ever since.

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 23rd, 2015, 6:31 pm

Tommy Joe wrote:You have to look at the arc to see your puddle to make a good weld. If your having trouble staying on where you want your weld and old trick is to use soapstone and mark a line. Another is to put more light on the area. A 250 halogen works great, I was doing a weld test one time and having trouble seeing and one of the guys loaned me a 250 halogen, I'm a believer have owned one ever since.
Thanks, sounds like a plan also. But I also did order a good helmet, a Lincoln Viking 3350 Series MOJO Auto Darkening Welding Helmet, got a good deal on ebay for it and it is brand new. I have spent thousands on my eyes from the 2 surgeries for cataract removals, figured I could spend $250 on a good helmet that has a 5-13 tint setting with a clarity of 1-1-1-1, even though I don't know what that means, I heard it is really good. Welding with a Miller using a Lincoln helmet, Oh well.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » March 23rd, 2015, 7:17 pm

Ok so here's the rest of this line.....it goes like this...

Did you know that 12% of the Japanese have cataracts? The others have rincolns and chevorets...! ( snare drum)...( cymbal crash )

Tommy Joe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Tommy Joe » March 24th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Just goes to show you they do not use good welding hoods!!!!!!! Probably HF stuff.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » April 3rd, 2015, 10:26 am

I just ran across this thread. Now yawl have me curious... I just turned 41. Not bragging but I have perfect vision...so far. I just started welding (steady) a few months ago on my build. Prior not enough o speak of. However I have been around welding most of my life. When you refer to a cheap hood...what standards make it a cheap hood, cost or___? My prior little bit of welding experience was with a flip down hood. I sucked biggins finding my rod (non pun intended). Whenh I started my build a few months ago I bought a Miller- Classic Series Auto Darkening for just under $100 from the Red Ball local dealer. All I have adjusted is the sensitivity when welding facing outside the shop. The daylight was triggering my the auto darkening. I did not do any research. My mechanic, who is really good at welding, told me to get it. He likes it that he teaching me...LOL

I want to protect my eyes so any advice would be appreciated. Like was said by others I would rather spend the money now than later...later always costs more

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 3rd, 2015, 10:31 am

I paid $85 plus tax...

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 3rd, 2015, 11:03 am

While I had a little time...I did some research seems I am okay

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » April 3rd, 2015, 4:33 pm

I would say as long as it doesn't leak, and it shades faster than light you would be good.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » April 3rd, 2015, 6:35 pm

I have never been a fan of auto hoods. At work I still have my original helmet with the small lens. It's kinda heavy compared to the newer ones. Got a new one last year for home with the bigger lens,very nice and light. Maybe I'm just scared of new technology. That's why I still don't have a cell phone or a flat screen.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 3rd, 2015, 6:41 pm

It does. I haven't had any issues w/ seeing spots after after welding...yet

Funny story--- an old man that had a shop in my home town told me this story. He said he had hired this fella first day on the job. Mr Bob was welding. He wud tell the knew hand to "watch it" every time he struck an arc. Well after lunch sometime that day. Mr Bob said "watch it" for the humptenth time that day. The hand said "mister Bob, I just can't watch it no's more".
Mr Bob said that hands eyes were all jacked up. Bless his heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 3rd, 2015, 6:45 pm

Smurf, I've had cell phone for a while. Sooner than I wudave on my own due to company issue. But we bought our first flat screen 3 years ago. Well the wife did when we moved. I understand. I like to stick to what I know. No matter what it is but especially FOOD! I don't take long to order in restaurant or long in a grocery store. I know what I want before I sit down or walkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”