spectrum 625

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: kids dont try this at home

spectrum 625

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » January 24th, 2012, 4:51 pm

there is my plasma cutter i didn't like POS at first because the second cut i made with it it fried a board and it spent 6 weeks in the shop but that was a long time ago. i normally only use it on SS or aluminum. my buddy Shawn has been after me for a couple years to set it up for everyday use so i ran some air line last weekend (A huge pain in the ass) to make it a little more accessible/covenant to use.

here are some of the pros/cons with a plasma cutter that you may want to consider before running out and buying one

CONS
1. the quagmire of cords you have to F around with you have a power, air, torch and ground cable all over the damn place
2. you cant grind the slag (an air hammer is a must but then you got another GD air line to trip over)
3. you can't see your line while your cutting because the torch tip is so big
4. all the fine slag on the floor
5. you have to use your index finger to pull the trigger and not your thumb like on a real torch
6. basically if you like using a cutting torch you'll more then likely hate a plasma cutter

PROS
1. damn i really cant think of any......... oh wait you can cut SS and aluminum yep that's about it

So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?

Bobby Collins
beginner
beginner
Title: Awesome!!!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: spectrum 625

Post by Bobby Collins » January 24th, 2012, 7:17 pm

I have a Spectrum 625 here in my shop. It is used everyday by students and myself. I haven't had any trouble with my plasma. It has been in use everyday for 5 years. Maybe it was just a bad board. It happens.
Pro
1. The quagmire can be solved my making a place for the machine to stay. That way all the cords and cable don't have to be moved. The only cables you need to move is the torch and the ground clamp. But if the plasma needs to be moved then dealing with the cable's is a must.
2. If you are having that much trouble cleaning the dross(slag) then you have your cutting setting to high for the material you are cutting. Which in turn make's clean up a pain in the -------. Yeah you got it.
3.I have never used my thumb to cut with a oxyfuel torch. It has always been my index finger also. So if you have a two piece torch then I would turn it over and use your index finger.
4.There are different size cups and nozzles for this plasma. Try a different size. There also is a set of wheel that go on the torch head that will allow you a better line of sight. That way you can see your line.

I hope this doesn't pi-- anyone off.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 24th, 2012, 8:12 pm

That sounds like some good info Bobby! :kewl:

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » January 24th, 2012, 9:20 pm

thanks bobby i will take some of that in account ;) the board thing was fluke im sure. i really dont want to sound like a d!ck but i'll list the cons to your pros

Bobby Collins wrote: 1. The quagmire can be solved my making a place for the machine to stay. That way all the cords and cable don't have to be moved. The only cables you need to move is the torch and the ground clamp. But if the plasma needs to be moved then dealing with the cable's is a must.
i like the idea but that would probably only work in most shops about 50% of the time if your building or repairing things
2. If you are having that much trouble cleaning the dross(slag) then you have your cutting setting to high for the material you are cutting. Which in turn make's clean up a pain in the -------. Yeah you got it.
i will have to play with it a little more i still have to look at the manual to set it when i use it
3.I have never used my thumb to cut with a oxyfuel torch. It has always been my index finger also. So if you have a two piece torch then I would turn it over and use your index finger.
sorry brother it just don't work that way your mixing valve handle should never face the material your cutting how would you brace yourself for a cut please google victor torch and and hit images if you are teaching your students to flip the body around you maybe teaching them a really bad habit that would be hard to break later in life
4.There are different size cups and nozzles for this plasma. Try a different size. There also is a set of wheel that go on the torch head that will allow you a better line of sight. That way you can see your line.
i will really need to look into that might help that seems to be the hardest part for me i think im going to build a drag and wheel attachment soon i cant bring myself to spend the 100 bucks

I hope this doesn't pi-- anyone off no worries bro i'm in constrution.

So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » January 25th, 2012, 7:29 pm

I am a O/A guy and love it. I believe in a shop environment there is a place for every tool. If you have to make a choice between a Plasma and an O/A setup I feel you should choose the O/A the functionality of it out ways the plasma 10 fold.
With the correct clean tip I slice through 55 gall drums all the way up to 1" plus thick metal. On job sights you will rarely see a plasma it is always O/A, the portability out ways the others every time.
These are just my thoughts. :)

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » January 26th, 2012, 3:08 pm

k.a.m. wrote:I am a O/A guy and love it. I believe in a shop environment there is a place for every tool. If you have to make a choice between a Plasma and an O/A setup I feel you should choose the O/A the functionality of it out ways the plasma 10 fold.
With the correct clean tip I slice through 55 gall drums all the way up to 1" plus thick metal. On job sights you will rarely see a plasma it is always O/A, the portability out ways the others every time.
These are just my thoughts. :)
your to old school bro lol j/k

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » January 28th, 2012, 9:15 pm

hey bobby did you get a chance to google that????

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » February 4th, 2012, 9:10 am

KILLSWITCH505 wrote:hey bobby did you get a chance to google that????
Old enough to...... well you know........... :D

TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member

Post by TrailerBuilder » February 4th, 2012, 11:41 am

I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 and I love it. Of course, its named after me, Cutmaster, so thats one reason its my favorite :-bd Denny, I wont deny though that cords and hose all over the floor are a PITA, but something that I basically just got adjusted to. Mine has a 25' lead on it so most generally I can put it in 2 different places in my garage and reach everything and keep the mess of cords on the floor pushed against a wall. My only con really is consumables, there pricey but if you take a bit of care when cutting, a set of consumables lasts quite a while. Of course my O/A setup is very useful to have as well, makes a nice place where I can hang my jacket and hat while using my plasma cutter :p

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » February 5th, 2012, 5:55 pm

cutmaster, i do need to get longer leads that would probably make things a lot easier LOL cutmaster LOL

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » February 5th, 2012, 6:59 pm

I have the x-treme 375 and love it for what it is.

As stated above they have there place.

I thought I would be way cool and grab the plasma and wash a few inchs of weld off....NOT... I ended up rolling up the lead and dragging the torch out to try and clean up the mess I made.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Wreckless
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
Title: Member

Post by Wreckless » February 25th, 2012, 7:36 am

I have a Miller 375. Denny, it took awhile for me to warm up to it at first. Mostly it was an air volume issue with my 10 gal compressor, kind of like the duty cycle timing out on a welder. A new 60 gal single upright fixed that. Once I found a suitable home for the cutter, I was able to route the power and air supply out of the way and with the 20' (?) torch lead I can reach anywhere in my 20' x 20". My pros and cons...
Cons
The torch lead is stiff and at times wants to twist in your hand until it is comfortable, not you.
It does not wash steel well at all due to the head size and that it requires an arc which is limited in its distance.
It cannot be used for heating and bending steel.
When the consumable is used up, it is toast and you best have a replacement. If it is on a weekend and LWS is closed, go mow the yard or drink beer, you are done. No cleaning of the tip will save you.
It is more expensive on the original investment than an O/A setup
Pros
It is on when you want, it is off when you don't. I drag the torch to my work area and simply reach for it when i need it and set it down when the cut is finished. Repositioning yourself or the work piece is a breeze. Reaching for a sip of brew in between cuts is much easier and safer. Same goes for scratching an itch.
The heat on the steel is considerably less than a torch. By a large margin.
I have never ran out of plasma.
The slag chips off much easier than from a torch when set correctly. I have not done a torch vs plasma slag grinding comparison.

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » March 15th, 2012, 8:01 pm

I've been coming around a bit. On a side note it was wreakless that gave me the chipping hammer tip

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » April 21st, 2012, 3:27 pm

Me and my son have the new cutmaster 82 and we could not live without it we can fly through plate like it is going out of style with virtually no slag to contend with . It is a must for us. Then again isn't life all about preference. Got to love my metabo's too. I also gots to have me one of those saws I always see in Frank's hand

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » April 22nd, 2012, 8:10 am

TQ you need to get one of them saws. Heck the way you stock tools, maybe you should get three or four. :P
They are cuttin machines!

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”