Struts?

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
SimplexCoda

Struts?

Post by SimplexCoda » August 2nd, 2011, 5:44 pm

Ok, so Im working on a 155 Gallon propane tank RF build. I was hoping for something a little more streamline than counter weight/stops on the doors. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried gas struts. I know a few companies make some that are ok into the ~300* range. But I would like some more breathing room than that. There is also a company called raymond that makes gas struts. But, they have a product called m-struts. These are basically gas strut bodies that are made of stainless steel and use a stainless spring instead of gas. They say the withstand ~400*, this seems better to me. They also say that they are FDA approved for use in food prep equipment. Only problem being I cant find info on pricing or purchasing. Anyone ever try these ideas out?

k.a.m.

Re: Struts?

Post by k.a.m. » August 2nd, 2011, 5:50 pm

SimplexCoda, I know several cookers that use the gas struts on the outside of their doors with no problems at all. Are you wanting to mount them inside?

MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

Post by MattS » August 2nd, 2011, 5:56 pm

If you mount them on the outside then you can use whatever you find at the autoshop. Inside sounds real cool and hope you find something to do that.

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

SimplexCoda

Post by SimplexCoda » August 2nd, 2011, 6:32 pm

I would love to mount them inside. Like I say I have found that mechanical strut that seems like it would work, but no info on how to purchase them. But, I might go with mounting them outside if I cant find info. I can always change em later right?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » August 2nd, 2011, 6:35 pm

Not quite as sexy but certainly effective is the automatic sliding prop-rod used on the back lift-door of pickup bed toppers. They just automatically latch when extended and unlatch automatically when you raise them again. I found a used one at a camper dealer for 5 dollars and it held up a 30 pound door on an old smoker easily. That one was all metal so no problem...just a thought. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » August 2nd, 2011, 11:21 pm

Points for that one.

The sliding camper door latch is an awesome idea. May just have to use that one some day.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”