Making cover shields last longer

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Tommy Joe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Making cover shields last longer

Post by Tommy Joe » March 16th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I'm currently working in a fab shop welding and I'm pretty much welding all day. Welding with the mig I use to go through a outside cover shield in about a week. Last year about the first of Nov or maybe a little earlier I bought a speed glass 9100. With the new style cover shields they charge a lot more and it ticked me off. I started using something on them and they are lasting like you can't believe. I went through the first one in 1 week or so but I'm still on the 2nd one and it well last me a lot longer. I wish I could bottle this stuff and sell it but pledge furniture polish has beat me to it and have it in every store already. Everybody in the shop is using it and getting the same result. They paint everything with automotive paint and I was having a hard time getting it off my glasses until I started putting WD-40 on them and letting it set a bit then under the hot water and wipe them off. You will have to use a glass cleaner to get the WD-40 completely off.

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Re: Making cover shields last longer

Post by Miketheforester » March 18th, 2015, 9:17 pm

I'll have to try the pledge trick. I'm hard on outer lenses as well, looks like I put my face in the arc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » March 19th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Dang! that's a great idea!!!
Great to hear from ya Tommy!!! :beer: :beer:

Tommy Joe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Tommy Joe » March 19th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Some may doubt what I said but I did buy the hood Nov. if not earlier and still on the 2nd cover shield. We build hydraulic squeeze chutes for working cattle. If you want to see them in operation go to salt creek industries and look at the videos. I don't work on then but they also put out a sharpener for sharpening chain saw chains, but I don't think they are on that site.

Tommy Joe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Tommy Joe » April 8th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Has anyone tried using pledge on their cover shields yet? This is not a bunch of BS it works, I looked it up and I bought this hood on 10/29/14 and I'm still on my 2nd cover shield. And that is using it all day long Mon. through Fri.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”