Lincoln 180 mig

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
christmanalan
Title: Love BBQ
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Lincoln 180 mig

Post by christmanalan » December 18th, 2019, 12:21 pm

I found a great deal on a Lincoln 180 mig and I'm hoping for my first build it will be a sufficient welder for building a smoker with a 1/4" plate fire box? Anyone have any luck with this welder or suggestions?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Lincoln 180 mig

Post by Big T » December 18th, 2019, 7:07 pm

I believe that a lot of guys on the forum have used that welder to build their smokers so you shouldn't have any issues. One thing to look at is the duty cycle of any welder that you plan on using, the higher that you turn it up the less amount of time that you can weld before it has to cool down. Most of the time it isn't a problem because you'll be making quick, short welds and the machine doesn't have time to get hot but if you start running long beads then you can plan on taking a little extra time. These aren't a reason to not purchase the unit, just a few things to consider while looking for a welder. I'm sure some of the other guys can probably give you some better input.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 19th, 2019, 10:26 am

Great little machine. Leave a little in the budget for a gas cylinder as it’s worth every cent.

I have the same basic machine and have had absolutely zero issues with it over the past 20 years. Consumables are easy to find and it is quick to set up.

I’ve done 0.25 with no issues tho it is definitely at the upper end of its comfort zone. I am also running it on a dedicated 30 amp service line.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 24th, 2019, 9:41 pm

What they said x2

That little machine is very capable. Joint prep is the key to success. A little bevel goes along ways.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

DeltaCabBuilder
beginner
beginner

Post by DeltaCabBuilder » March 8th, 2020, 6:12 pm

I am considering this same welder. I see @Dirtytires recommends the gas over flux wire. School me a bit on flux wire cons. I have heard little uglier welds, but may work better on dirty or rusty materials? Only experience I have is with crackerbox stick welders, and that was years ago.

bjustison
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by bjustison » March 16th, 2020, 8:06 am

I used the same welder to build my smoker. I did buy a new gun liner for larger wire. I used flux core for the firebox (1/4" and 1/2") plate. I then used gas for everything else with small wire. I have a dedicated 50 amp breaker.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » March 16th, 2020, 11:07 am

Remember that duty cycle is based on a 10 minute period. If the duty cycle chart shows 20% at a given amperage/ voltage , at chart setting then the machine is rated to be able to weld continuously for two minutes, out of ten. Then it needs to sit for 8 minutes. Turning amperage down will increase duty cycle and extend weld time, but the tradeoff will be less penetration and smaller welds
Regards,
Tinspark

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

breavis
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by breavis » March 20th, 2020, 6:36 am

Lincoln is a good machine. Gas basically cleans up the bead, no chipping slag or brushing. Flux core you will brush and have some slag. Depending on how much you weld, a 40 cf tank can last a while. Also flux core doesn't work good on less than 1/8 thick steel. The welder your have will meet all of your needs

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”